how to get a hotter hot tub?

On Friday, August 24, 2007 at 9:57:33 AM UTC-7, SteveB wrote:

for some individuals 106-108 has more therapy value 20 min in 106 w a gallon of water to drink while sweating i come out cured! how come the water heater or washing machine isnt maxed at 104 ? same deal as the seat belt or helmet .should be a choice

Go ahead, kill your wife.
As you said, limiting the temp to 104 is a SAFETY issue. Anybody who gives advice to override that is in serious legal trouble!

I mentioned that, and got jumped all over. INFRINGEMENTS OF PERSONAL RIGHTS! and all that crap. People who don't read directions, think safety rules are for the other guy, yet want the biggest bottomfeeder scumsucker of a tort attorney they can find if they get hurt.
Besides that, if the doofus is too stupid to figure out how to defeat such a basic electronic device, I would doubt he could follow the directions or even know what the component looks like.
Steve

You mean like your friend's family, who tried to sue the hot springs because he died of a pre-existing heart condition while there? According to you, they lost, and rightfully so.

And now you've started hurling insults at the OP, who merely politely asked a very reasonable question. BTW, where's the basic electronic safety device on the bathroom type of spa tub? You know, the ones the user fills up with any temp of water that they feel like and are in many new higher end homes today? How come we aren't hearing about people dying right and left in those? Hmmm, could it be because for the most part this whole BS issue is based on a few hippies in the 70's getting stoned, drunk, passing out in their hot tubs and expiring?

[cut]
I'm late to the party and have no suggestions for your situation. I am, however, amazed that your wife can tolerate (nay, enjoy!) such high temperatures. We are in western New York, too, up on Lake Ontario, and we keep our outdoor tub at 100 or 101F, even when the temps are in the teens. I just don't like the water that much hotter because then I can't stay in there, and what's the point of running this hot tub if I can't have a nice long soak? I will say that our hot tub gets so hot during the summer (it's in direct sun all day) that we no longer run it in July and August. Time to fill it up soon!
A thought: are these other tubs you've been testing out fully insulated on all five sides? Ours is a Beachcomber, with the motor OUTSIDE the tub (it's in the step platform), so we have insulation on all four walls plus the floor, and the temperature drops very slowly when the cover is off. Great water circulation and temperature retention. I wonder if these other tubs have even temperatures throughout or are hot just near the thermostat/heater.
Thanks to the few of you who posted suggestions. I was afraid there might be some people warning me off of higher temperatures, but I wasn't prepared for the mass of posts.
Thanks to the person who posted the link at http://www.rhtubs.com/104f.htm While it doesn't give any advice about hacking the thermostat, it does confirm that I'm not totally crazy to want the temperature hotter. And I don't think I'm in the running for a Darwin award or likely to be put on trial for murdering my wife. If we get too hot, we get out for a while or turn the temp down.
From the first paragraph on that web site: "Even today, in Japan, many public bath houses have water up to 115 F"
As it is now, my wife takes tubs at least 3 times a week in our indoor jacuzzi tub (wich won't comfortably seat two) with initial water temperatures at about 112 - measured with a thermometer. So, setting the temp above 104 would not be anything new.
We're looking for a smaller sized hot tub - and with the amount that my wife likes to get in the tub, it might be more energy efficient to keep a well insulated hot tub warm than to be continually heating up the 45 F well water at ~40 gallons a pop.
If anyone else would like to post their advice on the easiest or most effective way to get around the 104 degree cap, please do so.
Thanks.
-JJ

You can have water a bit hotter than 104 by having your tub do it's filtering cycle right before you go in. In other words, if you plan to go in at 7PM, make sure that is about when the filter cycle finishes. The heater on many tubs runs during that cycle regardless of temp, so if the tub is at 104 before the filtering, it will be a few degrees higher afterwards.
One other point... Don't get a smaller tub thinking it will save a lot on heating costs. It honestly won't. It's much more important to get a tub that is big enough to stretch out in comfortably. You don't want to be cramped or have to always have your legs bent. Get IN the tub (Even the empty one on display) you plan to buy and see how it fits. I have never heard of anyone who later wished they had bought a smaller tub!
replying to Mike Dobony, Highoctaneconcentrates wrote: Can some one say squar people safty net binky grone ass men hot springs can kiss my ass hope thay get sued when some one dies in my tub thats 110 👌🏼
replying to JJ, ECB wrote:

On mine (Gecko controller), you can get to 106 by holding down the temp-up button after you've set it to max temp. Good luck!
On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 03:44:01 +0000, ECB

This message is from Thu, 23 Aug 2007. See here: http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Alt/alt.home.repair/2007-08/msg04744.html
By now, the OP probably burned down the house.
On 1/2/2016 5:07 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Example dot com. Another moaner, using a web forum. Who has no clue what a usenet is.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/28/2017 12:44 AM, Highoctaneconcentrates wrote:

No problem, Stormy does not need money where he is. Everything is free.
On Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 1:29:28 PM UTC-7, JJ wrote:

on older tubs with analog function its no problem. turn the temp sensor scr ew counterclockwise bout 1/4 a turn .the hi limit screw turn clockwise bout a 1/4 turn. any tub with a digital system regulated to 104 max is difficu lt to tweak if do able at all. sensors circuit boards relays are all very s ensitive components with precise voltages, milivolt voltages, watts,ohm rea dings resistors etc. if one little thing is off kilter the computer will fr eak out. engineered that way. best way is just get an old pre 104 tub