How's this possible?

Call the utility company. You and your neighbor are probably connected to the same transformer . If his condenser is really large and or the transformer is really undersized, you'll get some dimming when the condenser starts (momentarily)

Reply to
RBM

I was reading the post about a boiler which dimmed the lights in the house. It intrigued me, because all of a sudden I have a similar problem.

My lights just started dimming a couple days ago, and I wondered what was causing it. Now, you may think I'm cuckoo, but I figured it out while sitting out on my deck at night. Every time my lights dim, it's because my neighbors A/C kicks on. It never fails, I had my wife sit out there with me, to make sure it's not my imagination. How is this possible? What steps do I take to correct this?

Thanks

Reply to
Dacore

Could be a bad connection anywhere between the transformer and your house or his house.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Or the transformer is too small for the load.

Reply to
anoldfart2

Also can be caused by a poor electrical connection at the transformer.

"RBM" wrote in news:AkI_e.26014$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.lga:

Reply to
Gordon Reeder

Assuming that the transformer is sized correctly and that there are no electrical connection problems, you could ask your neighbor to install a "hard start" kit. This will reduce the starting surge drawn from the power line, and reduce the light flicker that you are seeing. (I'll bet your neighbor's lights dim more than yours do!).

Reply to
Travis Jordan

You live in a neighborhood of clever people.

Your neighbor is running his air conditioner from your electrical service.

Reply to
HeyBub

You are getting dimming because a problem has developed between the transfomer secondary and both of your homes. The utility should be asked to find and clear this fault imediately.

-- Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Reply to
HorneTD