How much do you tip movers?

Ours come tomorrow -- long distance (LA to SF), with a full trailer-load.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
PTRAVEL

I've moved 12 times in the last 15 years and the most I've ever tipped was a gas grill and a twin bed. Never any money. Of course I'm in the military and couldn't afford to tip them anyway.

_____________________ HomeBrewer

Reply to
HomeBrewer

Hand them a bible each and start telling them to turn to John 9:13, they will be gone before you can look up!!

Hey you where trying to give them a tip!! LOL

Reply to
Yep

look here:

I tip movers. Use your judgement too.

Story: The last time I moved a friend insisted on driving the truck. I hired people to load the rental truck. My overbearing friend showed up at the last minute with the truck and then proceded to torment the movers, directing them, interferring, driving all of us crazy the whole time. When the truck was loaded and the guys were leaving, they made some comments about my friend. Not awfully rude, but I knew what they meant and I sympathized. I gave them a very generous tip. They looked at each other and the lead guy said to the other, "I think I'll double-check that load." He then proceeded to add some extra of those big cloth straps that secure things.

I have no doubt that had I not sympathized and tipped them extra, my belongings would have ended up mangled and damaged. What they intended to happen was nasty (*I* would have been the victim, not my friend) and shocking, but I saved myself an awful lot of aggravation and trouble.

Curly Sue

In my other life before I retired, I was relocated many times, movers always paid by my employer, But, employers negotiate cheap prices, budget, bare bones moving. If you don't tip $50 you can expect some of your stuff will be damaged. It might also go into storage first or be rerouted and on a truck for a month. They have all kinds of tricks. Pay the tip, it's well worth it. Been there, done that. I know.

Bob

Reply to
jdh

Well...Wouldn't you be handing them the tip AFTER your furniture was ALREADY ion your new house?

Reply to
ThePetPage

I've been moved professionally three times, paid for by my employer. It never even occurred to me to tip them. This is a paid labor service; IMHO a tip is not called for unless they do something outside the job described in the contract.

Similar examples of non-tippable services include lawn service or maid service. In both cases, when the job done matches the agreed upon services, I pay what we agreed, not more. However, if my lawn guy does something extra, or if I think the job turned into more than we agreed to in terms of labor, I'll happily tip up to 20%.

Frankly, I think this "tipping thing" is getting out of hand. There's now a tip jar at the soft serve stand near where I live. What's next? A tip jar at the Burger King cashier?

Apart from restaurants and cabs and a few similar things, a tip is for EXTRA SERVICES. So, if I go to the hotel concierge desk and ask for a restaurant recommendation, and get one, I don't tip. That's the concierge's job. But, if he/she makes an effort to call ahead for me and get a table, that's going an extra mile and a buck or two tip is appropriate (though sometimes turned down with an appreciative smile).

Marc

Reply to
MAG

No, you pay on both ends. The people who pick up long distance moves won't necessarily be the same people delivering.

Bob

Reply to
jdh

trailer-load.

Sure it's getting out of hand, it's extortion, it's wrong, but it's cheaper and easier than filing a claim after the fact. Also, some of your belongings may not be replaceable. If you're into fighting for causes and right and wrong, don't pay them. I always negotiated a salary sufficient to pay the added fees. You gotta figure these movers helpers are making minimum wage and really have no interest in preserving your goods. They are hired locally at each end to load the truck or unload it.

Bob

Reply to
jdh

Petty much agree. OTOH, having a jug of iced tea or pot of coffee wil get you those extra services or a little extra care. The people unloading are usualy day labor lumpers picked up at a nearby place just for the job. If you happen to be moving a collection of pianos, it may not be a bad idea to hand over a few bucks.

I've seen the tip jar in a few places that, IMO, they should not be. The clerk in the bakery comes to mind, as well as the people behind the window at the ice cream stand. Sure, they don't get paid big bucks, but they don't use a lot of skills either. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

People who tip - outside of restaurants where it is the long standing custom - just screw it up for us all. Its like feeding the bears. Does your employer tip you? Does Walmart tip you for shipping there? You can keep people honest by voting with your feet and by pursuing your complaint. You just have to screw up your courage and keep the deal you made and hope they do too.

Reply to
Blue

you dont give them anything.. they get paid from the company that you are paying... the old days when you got someone to do something for just about nothing it was different.. you had to grease the guys doing the work as you did not pay the owner much.. but now days the movers might be making more than you do......

Reply to
dbird

I moved from Los Angeles to Buffalo NY in January of 2003, and I tipped each of my (3) moving guys $20.00 . They did an excellent job at both ends. I used a United Vanlines affiliate FWIW.

Good luck!

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

I always tip movers if they do a good job.

"How much are you supposed to tip movers?

Tips differ depending on the size and difficulty of the move as well as the efforts put forth by the movers. An honest day's job should not go unnoticed. The average tip for local moves is 7-12% of the total bill. The average tip for long distance moves is $3-5 per hour based on the labor. It is best that you compensate each mover separately to acknowledge the hard work by everyone involved in the relocation."

Reply to
Jennifer

You must be of the "Officer" ilk........ Us enlisted weenies also got our moves paid for by Uncle but that in turn left us enough money to tip which ensured that all our HHG arrived safely at the other end!

Dennis

Reply to
Rick Shaw

Hmmm, I feed them lunch, provide beverage, and at the end of their job, I give them 6 packs or bottle of booze if they did a good job. Good service is two way street. You treat them well, you get good service in return. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Edwin- Good point! For the record, when I've got "laborers" working, I offer water, sodas, whatever. When the last movers were unloading, I think I offered to buy them subs, as I was heading to the deli myself, but they turned it down in favor of doing their own thing.

Marc

Reply to
MAG

Sure, a professional moving site will recommend tipping movers... but this is part of the "feeding the bears" that others have commented on. Pretty soon there will be a tip jar at the grocery checkout to thank the cashier for separating the eggs from the 2 L soda bottles.

Marc

Reply to
MAG

are you gonna tip me if i tell you how much to tip the movers?

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Depends upon the job I would say 5-10 bucks each!

Wayne

trailer-load.

Reply to
wayne