How many gallons of gasoline would it take to charge an iPhone?

Cool? I guess that depends on your definition of "cool".

We didn't, until January. My Internet connection at work is locked down so tightly that it's almost useless. I got a smart phone so I could access the Internet freely (4G is available at my desk). I've since found out just how useful it is. Wouldn't be without out it now ($150/month for two phones with hot spot and 4G access on one).

Reply to
krw

It's called "envy". It's the leftist's mental disease.

Reply to
krw

Then why waste your typing? People *want* them. Isn't that enough reason?

Reply to
krw

Can you go further off-topic to find irrelevance?

Reply to
krw

Agreed. The word "need" is not terribly appropriate for smartphones or guns. The word that counts is "want."

Reply to
HeyBub

That's OK. Fortunately we're not relying on you to tell us when we're having an economic recession. Any thinking person knows that recessions come and go. And while they may have an impact on some consumer expenditures, they have never resulted in anything close to your silly requirement occuring. For the record, we are not currently even in a recession.

Reply to
trader4

As far as we know. Yet. 2% growth is pretty anemic, at this point of a supposed "recovery", though.

Reply to
krw

If you were say a teetotaler and also didn't like folks who drank and were tasked with interviewing folks and categorizing drinking habits would you simply record that the range of the guy who said he had a sip of champagne at his daughters wedding to the guy who says he needs a screwdriver just to get going in the morning as alcoholics?

If the guy who presented a reasonable observation about rechargeable batteries is a "hippie know it all" what would ALGore be?

Often the truth lies in the middle.

Reply to
George

The only problem is, the observation isn't reasonable.

"Cellphones should be made with batteries that pop in and out easily so you can be using one and charging one. The main reason batteries are bad on the environment is they are all proprietary. "

Out of all the batteries, of all types, discarded every day, we're supposed to believe that cell phone batteries that serve basicly the life of the phone, are the main problem with batteries and the environment? And what percent of the overall waste disposal do they represent that we're about to "fix"?

Then we have the silly idea that you should take the old battery from a phone and put it in a brand new one. How many people would want to do that? Would you do that with any other new product? And how much more waste, cost, and service problems would it generate? Cell phones and batteries would now have to be packaged and sold seperately. Think of the trees for all that packaging and shelving. Last time I checked, cell phone companies charge $25 for a battery. How about they decide to give you the phone for free, but charge for the battery? Before buying a new phone, you'd have to figure out which phones would fit the battery you have.

And then there is the little matter of form factor and size. I've changed cell phones since the early days about every 4 years. During that period, it was either impossible or very unlikely that the old battery could even be used. That's because the cell phones have shrunk in size dramatically in just a few years. And the form factor has changed as well.

So, sorry, but this indeed hippie dream world where someone has a brainfart, blows something all out of proportion, and doesn't think through the most basic issues with the idea.

Reply to
trader4