How many gallons of gasoline would it take to charge an iPhone?

Cellphones should be made with batteries that pop in and out easily so you can be using one and charging one. You should be able to charge one from of the two USB ports that should be in all cars.

The main reason batteries are bad on the environment is they are all proprietary.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Metspitzer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My first cell phone (1992) came with two batteries, and I did exactly what you're suggesting. That second battery was essential: The first one simply didn't last the day; you needed to switch batteries part-way. And that was on a phone which made voice calls and nothing else.

I think there are several reasons why phones no longer come with two batteries:

1) charging options are more numerous than they were in 1992; 2) batteries are better now, and last longer before going dead; 3) supplying only one battery saves the manufacturer money, so they can sell the phone for cheaper.
Reply to
Tegger

You'll probably find that if you aren't a member of the Cult of Apple your phone will have a removable/replaceable/swappable battery. Your phone may not come with two batteries out of the box but the second one will be pretty cheap. I have two for my Nexus S and found that being able to swap at will was convenient while hiking in England and Scotland -- watching my location on Google Earth saved me from making a couple of wrong turns in the Highlands. Where data service wasn't available I could at least get a GPS fix and watch my location relative to villages along the way using stored maps. I guess that had I been carrying an iDevice that some sort of external power pack or solar panel would be usable but I doubt that it would be as convenient as popping and replacing the battery.

Reply to
John McGaw

Most other than apple smartphones have a removable battery.

The biggest thing that occurred in the past few years was most of the worlds governments mandating that charger connectors must be universally micro USB. That eliminated having a drawer full of just slightly different non interchangeable charging cables.

Reply to
George

just put it on the cord at night. Even the junkiest phone made will go all day. I should know. i have that phone.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Depends on how big a data hog you are. Mine didn't last the day. But I just invested in a triple capacity battery to solve the problem.

Reply to
AJL

i have a computer for the data needs. I certainly don't need that shit whilst I'm out and about.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Proprietary? Is that another word for chemicals?

.

The main reason batteries are bad on the environment is they are all proprietary.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't pay the iTax but my phone doesn't have a user replaceable battery, either. If I need more mobile power, I can always get an external battery pack (have thought about it for use as a mobile hot spot).

Reply to
krw

Not so much if I use mine as a WiFi hot spot without a power source.

Reply to
krw

You don't, so no one does. How positively Democratic of you.

Reply to
krw

George wrote in news:js3381$u6h$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

When did this happen? I've had three Samsung phones, all with the same size of charging connector, but all with slightly different pinouts so that none of them worked with the others.

My wife's and daughter's iPhones and iPods also seem to have slightly different pinouts from each other, and the charger for one doesn't work on the other.

Reply to
Tegger

John McGaw wrote in news:v58Fr.374155$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-09.dc.easynews.com:

I see that a replacement battery for my BlackBerry Style 9670 is available near me for $60, not exactly cheap.

Reply to
Tegger

My Kindle Fire Tablet (and 2 earlier Kindle models), HTC Incredible smartphone, and Samsung Brightside feature phone all use the micro USB connector for charging. So the word's getting around.

Well, except for Apple which is changing to yet another smaller connector but (of course) a proprietary one...

Reply to
AJL

Ever heard of "online"? The OEM battery can be had for $7 there and shipping is free. Seems pretty cheap to me.

Reply to
John McGaw

The battery for MY Blackberry 9700 was three dollars and change with shipping included. Check Ebay.

Reply to
HeyBub

John McGaw wrote in news:NhhFr.159264$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-16.dc.easynews.com:

Once or twice...

Seven dollars for OE? I found a bunch of aftermarkets for closer to $10 online; OE was a lot more. Where did you find the OE for $7?

Reply to
Tegger

John McGaw

LOL I'm trying to figure out how proprietary equates to being the main reason batteries are bad on the environment too. Like a lot of people are going to want to buy a new cell phone without a battery and instead use the 4 year old one from another phone instead? And what about all the non-rechargeable batteries out there, ie your basic AA's etc? You don't recharge them even once.

As for needing more than one battery for a cell phone, no need here. My phone lasts a week on a charge because I don't use it all that much. And if I need to charge it, it charges fully in a couple hours. I can go from dead to enough power for a day in probably 20 mins. I also have a car charger, so if I'm going somewhere I can charge it that way.

Reply to
trader4

I think the standards went into place in 2010 and it showed up on production phones in 2011.

Reply to
George