How many gallons of gasoline would it take to charge an iPhone?

I think you are right. The now 100 million plus smartphone owners in the US likely didn't get them for the really handy ability to have data connectivity almost everywhere they could be...

Reply to
George

Actually, unless I missed something, this is not actually a government mandate. It has come about as cooperation among the cell phone industry, with, in some cases govt standards bodies, depending on the part of the world, then formalizing the agreement. In other words, it's more like USB, ie an industry standard, in most cases voluntary, than it is an act of govt. In the USA for example, I'm unaware of any federal legislation that brought this about.

If there is a law

Reply to
trader4

Its pretty simple. A lot of cellphone batteries have similar capacity batteries that use the same chemistry so they have the same voltage and charging characteristics but the molded case is slightly different for each model phone. So you get a new phone and find the batteries from your old phone don't fit and unless you find someone who has the exact model you had they can't use the batteries either. Given there are close to 200 million cellphones in use that represents a few "excess" batteries.

Seems reasonable that we shouldn't think about it since we already throw away batteries it doesn't make sense to consider how we can throw away less.

Reply to
George

How's $18?

krw

That's why USB is such a great idea for a charging source. USB ports are everywhere. Increasing the USB current from .5A to 2A will help a lot.

Reply to
krw

The batteries from a 2YO (at least) phone aren't worth salvaging. Confining batteries to a "standard" form factor will greatly limit innovation since the battery is, by far, the largest component in the phone. Shaping the battery is a large part of designing a new phone. No thanks.

False premise.

Reply to
krw

No question it has some effect on the number of batteries. But it's a big leap to turn that into it being the "main reason batteries are bad on the environment". There are one hell of a lot of batteries out there, of all kinds. My cell phone uses exactly one of them and I replace it every 4 years. And like most people, at that point I would not want to take a 4 year old battery and put it into a new phone. The battery new battery is essentially free or small in the price of the new phone. Suppose you gave out phones minus the batteries, how many service complaints, returned phones, etc would that cause the cell phone company because people put a crap battery in a new phone and it doesn't work right?

Now look around at all the non-rechargeables in everything from watches, to TV remotes, smoke detectors, flashlights, toys that get tossed all the time. I'm not saying there isn't some effect. I just take exception when some hippie claims that it's the "main problem" or that it's a big deal.

You go right ahead. Take that new battery that comes with the cell phone and sell it on Ebay, if it makes you feel better.

Reply to
trader4

not a democrat. But pretty much true what you said other than that. This whole craze of having to have the internet in your hand is just bullshit.

Reply to
Steve Barker

John McGaw wrote in news:oRiFr.112150$xK2.92879@en-nntp-

11.dc1.easynews.com:

Wow! My local $60 is a ripoff.

But then I'm in Canada, the home of ripoff pricing on account of our high taxes and small market.

Reply to
Tegger

No i'd say most of them got it due to the "look at me" syndrome and don't "need" it at all.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Not much. The battery in my LG flip phone (just looked) is 3.7v, 1000 mAh.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You *sure* sound like one.

Again, because you don't want it, no one else should be able to have it either. How positively Democratic of you.

Reply to
krw

Few "need" a phone at all. What's your point?

Reply to
krw

It is a little harder to consider all of the angles but often the truth lies in the middle....

Reply to
George

Yeah, it's amazing how some folks just know what everyone else needs or should have. It's like bitching about how no one should have a high performance sports car because it only gets 17 miles to the gallon. Meanwhile, many of those sports cars are only driven a few thousand miles a year. And the hippies doing the bitching are driving all over the place in their VW, racking up 30,000 miles a year on their way to the latest Occupy Wall Street sleep over, or whatever....

Reply to
trader4

that IS my point.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Anyone that doesn't think a smart phone is cool just doesn't get it.

Do you need them? No. Are they useful? Hell yes. Are they worth the 50 bucks per month? I don't have one.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Which is to say you have no point. By the same logic, few "need" HD TV, a meal at a nice restaurant, a trip to the beach or a night at the movies.

Reply to
trader4

The point is the hippie know it all types never consider even the most basic angles. It's way above their level of understanding.

Reply to
trader4

true, and until all those items and services go out of business, I can't say we're having a recession. It's like having someone stand in front of you complaining about being broke with a cigarette hanging out their mouth.

Reply to
Steve Barker