how long is a new home warranty?

I lived in my house three years, and just discovered the shower pan has been leaking because it was installed stupidly. Anything that could be wrong about it IS wrong. While I'm looking for the warranty paperwork, ... what's the chance of getting the builder back to rip out the shower and build it right? If I can prove the shower pan was put in as ignorantly as I say it was, could it be that the warranty is irrelevant and he has to fix it anyway?

Reply to
bam

Warranty time can vary from builder to builder and state to state. Find that paperwork.

No, he'd not have to fix it anyway. Since none of us can see how it was installed, we can't say if it was stupid or not.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Depends on your paperwork. Any advice would be mere guesswork and conjecture until you tell us what the paperwork says.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In China, probably 30 days if your lucky... You are in China, right?

:)

Here in Calgary the average is 5 years, but it's not an automatic thing. You CAN get a house without the warranty.

Reply to
Calab

Chances might be good.

On Mondays I always had a wet carpet on the first floor(corner). SWMBO used tub above..Sunday evening. Turns out a rubber collar/sleeve on a black drain pipe was not installed correctly.

The builder in warranty, ripped the walls enough for the repair of the pipe. They fixed it.

Your builder may speak another set of terms. Got Papers?

Reply to
Oren

It may just be a year. That is what Centex gives you. Beyond that you get what they will give you or what the state makes them do.

Reply to
gfretwell

My house had a one year warranty. Yours may be different, or the builder may just fix it out of good will.

Reply to
Phisherman

Here in MN, it's dictated by state law: 2 years for everything, 10 years for major structural.

Reply to
marson

I had this problem but it only took 6 months to show up. If pan had crack or break in it, it can take a long time for leak to show. Even though my warranty was a year, builder refused to honor it. I found his plumbing and tile subcontractors and worked with them and they honored their work and fixed without cost. Later sued the builder over a variety of things. This was a frustrating experience as builders hide behind corporations. Settled out of court but got no money except to use as a tax deduction. Hope you do better than me but you should know potential problems.

Reply to
Frank

snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com wrote in news:237e2e12-7966-442c-b8c7- snipped-for-privacy@x69g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

Three days.