How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

Is this very first second of this video showing the alignment tool in action?

It seems to take a split second, but the video is artificially sped up.

Reply to
Chaya Eve

Most DIYs seem to gloss over this step.

As an example, this DIY at time 331 seconds, simply shows the bright red centering tool already in place! :(

That same video, shows at time 352 seconds, a *different* centering tool.

Reply to
Chaya Eve

The videos are instrumental for me to visualize what you're saying, as this one, for example, at time 195 seconds, shows that throwout bearing (aka release bearing) in action.

Reply to
Chaya Eve

Some videos are titled "toyota versus mechanic, round 2".

Reply to
Chaya Eve

This seems to show exactly what you're talking about at time 142 seconds:

Reply to
Chaya Eve

Maybe brutal but Fiat vs Mechanic is a death match.

Reply to
AMuzi

I did a search on "using clutch alignment tool" and came up with this video:

Stormin' Norman

Here is a nice, step by step procedure for clutch replacement, including one exploded diagram.

Note, in the diagram, they label what I call a "throw-out bearing" as a "release bearing". I am sure their terminology is accurate.

Video's are nice but still-image, annotated, step by step instructions can be invaluable.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Work on cars long enough and you figure they're all Christine's siblings. I had a '60 Plymouth that I'm certain was a relative. It started as a pushbutton Torqueflite and ended up as a floor shift manual. That's when I learned about endless projects. Among other difficulties the parking brake for the AT was a drum on the end of the transmission. I wasn't concerned about that until the lack of a safety brake was pointed out to me by a State Trooper. So, next project was swapping out the rear axle for one that had a safety brake and fabricating the linkage. No big deal after inventing the whole hydraulic clutch system from miscellaneous parts laying around.

Kept me out of trouble, I guess.

Reply to
rbowman

I had a Fiat Spyder but it didn't last long enough for me to work on it. After a few heated discussions with the car salesman we worked out a deal where I got a Mustang. I think the promise to park the damn Fiat in his office got his attention.

I did do a rebuild on an Alfa Romeo Giulietta though. Wet sleeve engine? Who does that anymore? I also have a couple of scars from when a friend rolled his in which I was a passenger. They do not hold up well going

60mph upside down and backwards.

I never had an Italian bike. Desmodromic valves are too weird even for me.

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah, that's a pretty good video. It just holds the clutch plate in place and then you pull it out when the pressure plate is snugged down. The video also illustrates what I meant about working around tightening the pressure plate screws gradually and in a pattern around the pressure plate. You'll also want to do the gradual thing when removing it or it will start to c*ck and make removing the screws difficult. Once you've backed them out enough to release the spring pressure all around then you remove them one by one.

Reply to
rbowman

It's one of those things you don't necessarily think about that screws up someone without experience in the job. It's like the whole angle discussion. They might show sliding the transmission back in place like a stick of butter in a hot frying pan but after you've laid on your back sweating and cursing trying to rattle a heavy chunk of metal just right to get it started in the splines you realize the importance of being able to line everything up nicely.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't know what we did before videos and digital photography. The last Yaris I had came without a radio. Putting a radio in these days means starting down around the console with a plastic putty knife popping of various trim pieces until you work your way up to the speedometer assembly. Thanks the Gods for the forum's step by step photos.

Even for some projects where I'd draw a sketch to make sure I'd get everything back in the same place I can now just take a picture.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't recall using anything but a broomstick and my eyeballs last time I did a clutch. Of course that was a '66 F-100 3-speed. I bought a new flywheel - it was only 50 bucks. Not saying that's the same as a 4Runner, and the OP should go with the flow. I did ruin a pressure plate on my VW, and had to do the job twice. Don't support your trans - engine in the case of the VW - in sand.

Reply to
Vic Smith

The concept is good, the execution sucks.

Reply to
Xeno

Amen to that.

Reply to
Xeno

It is remarkably easy to do on the BMW 2002.... you can have one person lifting it on a couple 2X4s while another person rocks it back and forth until it slides right in. The five-speed Getrag on the E28 isn't that much worse. You can drop the damn transmission in the driveway without a lift and have it back in the same afternoon. Part of this is because the manual is very good, part is because the transmission is light, and part of it is because you can actually see the thing well enough to see that it's lined up or not.

On the other hand, you couldn't pay me enough to do a Ford Econoline again.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

SB Bedford bus, cast iron case gearbox, no pits or hoist. Did I mention the side skirt on the bus were *low*?

Reply to
Xeno

Leveling the engine has NOTHING to do with it. The vast majority of light/medium duty vehicles have the bell housing integral to or dastened to the transmission, and without dropping the back of the transmission the bell housing will hit the firewall before the transmission can come out. Therefore the engine and transmission MUST be able to tilt - and often quite a bit - to come off of the engine in a straight line, and to go back onto the engine.

Reply to
clare

Looks decent. General generic adapter sold by many importers under many brands.

Reply to
clare