How does vinyl replacement window sit in frame?

Hello,

I bought some certainteed Bryn Mar II vinyl double hung replacement windows.... they have a inch wide/deep slot that runs the outside perimeter of the window. It looks like it was meant to receive the siding, is this correct?

In any case, does the whole window sit inside the wooden frame, or do you slide the window out so the siding butts up against the window/J channel.... and so the drain holes in the outside sill hang out away from the house(so they drain away from the house)?

Thanks, Keith

Reply to
Keith

Translated: "I don't have a clue so I will ask you rhetorical questions instead"

Reply to
G Henslee

Keith, there's no need to post the same question twice, under different subject lines, on the same day, six minutes apart. It doesn't improve your chances of getting a response at all.

RicodJour

Too many possible frame types/profiles to answer here on your specific windows.

Did you ask them where you bought the windows ?

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

...When I removed the original window, I had nothing left except the 2x4 studs that make up the frame. Then of course, you have a half inch of plywood, and the siding.

The original window butted right up againt the aluminum siding. So when I removed the original window, I needed to do something with the siding, like put a j-channel all around the perimeter.

If I have the window sit entirely on the frame stud, then the sill of the new window, with it's drain holes, hangs over the plywood -not good.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

You might not have bought the right window.

The frames come in many profiles and depths. Is the new frame as "thick" (inside to outside) as the old one ?

But you have to get it out farther, so water is not going behind the sheathing/siding. Or make up a vinyl or aluminum sill extension. Then you may have to build up the frame inside, level with the plaster/drywall

Check again where you bought it, they are the ones who are going to know.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Translated: "I don't have a clue how to help you, but I just have to say something"

Reply to
G Henslee