how do i fix this?

Got a weed whacker that has a black poly/plastic rotary head on a motor shaft. The shaft is approx 1/4" dia and 2" long.

The head was originally a press fit onto the shaft. Somehow, it has loosened and now the rotary head comes off periodically.

I'm trying to fix it, and need ideas. I just put some locktite on it today, and stuck the head back on the shaft. However, locktite says use only with metal. I don't know if it just means it won't work with anything but metal or what. I'll know tomorrow pm if it works.

Assuming it doesn't, what else can I try? JB weld? Ideally I'd like to drill through the roary head housing and shaft, and cross pin it. However, the out diameter of the housing I'd have to drill is approx 5"---too wide a span for my bits.

Ideas appreciated.

Reply to
rb

Take a dremel and scar a couple of areas of the shaft. Then get some epoxy that can be used on plastic and permanently attach it.

Reply to
tnom

There is an epoxy cement, Can't remember name, That expands as it sets up and cures. That is what i would use .

Reply to
Jack

hole in the head has worn larger and any "fix" will be temporary. If you use cheapo's like I do, answer may be a new one! Marshel

Reply to
WalkingMan

Put it out on the curb and shop for a new one. Everybody has close out sales on lawn items now, so it's a great time to buy. Your time is worth more than the frustration and dubious results a repair attempt will produce. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe