How do I eliminate Dandelion weeds from my lawn?

Weed-B-Gone is one, but it's also in (for example) Ace-branded weed products. Check the label.

There's a contingent here who really dump on the weed-n-feed approach. I don't think it's out of place for someone who is trying to get a problem under control. Your lawn probably needs both fertilizer AND weed control if you have a problem this bad, and some of both is better than nothing.

As you get more in tune with your lawn you can refine your methods.

In any case, ONE WEEK is far too soon to expect results. The "weed" part you put down will suppress new growth and small plants but will have little effect on the maturing dandelions ready to sprout their glorious yellow flowers (the pests). You'll still need to go around pulling those (by the roots, but you know that), or at least using a spot sprayer. It will also prevent the seeds from germinating in high numbers, over time. If you followed the instructions on the package, likely you used about half of what you need and will apply again in 30 days' time, which will be a sucker punch for whatever got through the first application.

Don't expect miracle results this year. You're merely getting the problem under control. Next year, you'll see many fewer dandelions and healthier grass, and you may be able to deal with it with a spot spray or pulling approach. If it's still pretty daunting go with another round of weed'n'feed. It may take two to five years of diligent maintenance to get rid of every last dandelion, though! Think long-term.

Almost any lawn can be improved. Weeds will be a smaller problem in healthy lawns. It's often said that the biggest problem is people just mowing too short. Two inches should probably be a MINIMUM, because lower cutting just damages the grass and cuts off too much of the fresh growth. (Different varieties of grass have different comfort heights, too.) Taller grass lets less light get to the weeds, too, and the cuttings (if you use a mulcher mower) create a good nitrogen-rich natural fertilizer at the root level.

Reseeding is best done in the fall, of course, but there's no reason you can't using a patch approach in spring or early summer. You just have to really baby those patches -- water twice daily at first, for instance, and reduce that when you see sprouts to daily, then to every couple of days (depending on precipitation). Make sure you till in some starter fertilizer in the larger bare spots before seeding.

Bare spots from not watering probably mean you need a hardier, sunny-type grass in those areas. A healthy lawn can do just fine most all summer with minimal watering -- it's called going dormant, and is the natural summer state of grass. When you vigorously water it early in the season, though, it comes to expect that all summer and doesn't put down a deep enough root system. Are you *deep* watering or just sprinkling?

Reply to
Dan Hartung

Here??? In *this* newsgroup?

...and since weed killers are systemic (the plants slurp them up), you don't want the juice on your hands. This is remedied by licking your fingers when you're done working.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I use Killex from a squirt bottle ( less pesticide pollution) and then the next day I go around and cut off the top of the plant with a knife. That prevents a last squirt of seed-production as the plant dies.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Mikey:

M > Short of harvesting them for wine, what are M > some good methods you've used for exterminating M > (eliminating) those peksy dandelion weeds?

I've always done the "dig 'em out" method. Dad started me on this 'little' project back when the weeds could be taller than I was. Use a dandelion tool (has a notched end) to go below the surface to get some of the root. If merely pull the top off the plant will regenerate.

One "trick", especially as one gets greying hair, is to use a small bucket to put the dug-up weeds in to. The small bucket needs to be emptied frequently, necessitating getting up off one's knees and walking to the lawn bag. Keeps the knees from freezing into a kneeling position!

S.N.: There are long-handled dandelion tools so one doesn't have to bend over. Personally I have never had that much success with the device: can't control as precisely as with the short-handled version to get the root.

  • Let me call you sweetheart. (I keep forgetting your name.)
Reply to
barry martin

No need to be a jerk. Or is that something you can't avoid?

Reply to
Dan Hartung

:-)

i'm a little biased, probably, as i live a couple hundred feet uphill from a park and a river.

.max

Reply to
Max

Unless people begin posting their age here, we must assume that they are young and have missed 40+ years' worth of legislative and research-related shenanigans on the part of the chemical industry. The result is that nobody knows ANYTHING decisive or accurate about the effects of chemicals on humans. I will do ANYTHING to raise questions in peoples' minds about the safety of what's sold for lawn/garden purposes.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I agree with what Dan said.

After fighting a losing battle with dandelions for nearly a decade I had good results. Some of my dandelions had roots the size of carrots.

I bought a 2 gallon container of full strength RoundUp weed killer from a farm supplies place. It was around $80 (8 years back and I still have some left) and would have cost an equivalent of a few hundred dollars had I bought an equivalent amount from the garden shop.

I then waited for a rain forcast to mow the lawn beforehand. The TV five day weather forecast is quite reliable. My reasoning is cut grass would need lots of water to regrow and the RoundUp wouldn't dry up as fast and therefore unavailable to the roots. A rain soaked lawn would allow the dandelion roots and injured leaves to soak in the weed killer for at least an hour or so. The application was from one of those garden hose spray bottle attachments that automatically metered the dilution. I can't remember but I think I did squirt a stronger solution of RoundUp onto the roots of the larger dandelions before mowing the lawn to give them a double whammy. It would have been hard to find them in a fresh mown field.

Anyway after three such treatments over the summer the dandelions did disappear. There were reinfestations and hardy ones that regrew but I followed up promptly with squirt bottle RoundUp applications on the roots, plucking the weed by hand to cause injury. This squirt treatment is something I do whenever Isee a fresh dandelion nowadays although this treatment is rarely required as few dandelions appear. I use a 2 litre coke bottle capped with a ketchup screw lock cap dispenser for a squirt bottle. It beats using a hand spray boittle as the wrist hurts by the time I get through two litres and I run through

5 bottles for spot applications.

I think my lawn is all crabgrass now. Maybe not, but the original Kentucky grass type sodded lawn had been totally replaced by a broader leafed species that is hardy and just browns without dying in a drought. It recovers almost miraculously as soon as it rains and I practically have to mow it within the next few days of growth. My house abuts a school and public playground and this grass looks identical to theirs. I am quite happy with this "crabgrass" as it is very low maintenance. I hardly need to water it, and it seem to manage to choke out most of the dandelions. In any case it will be a losing battle to resod as the school field grass would quickly reinvade my lawn.

Reply to
KLM

I didn't tell you to shut up. I didn't say anything about you at all. I just disagreed with you.

Now tell me why that's a problem for you?

Reply to
Dan Hartung

research-related

You said: "No need to be a jerk. Or is that something you can't avoid?"

That doesn't fit with: "I didn't say anything about you at all."

If you don't see the disconnect....oh well.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

KLM wrote in news:706q90lvgtlo9oa2q4via7eum7eaj6islj@

4ax.com:

I am not sure what you are saying here. If you spray with Roundup rather than Weed-B-Gone, you risk killing the surrounding grass. And you should not mow after spraying Roundup, because the stuff soaks in through the leaves, and if you cut off the tops of the dandelion leaves it may still die but it is now more likely to survive.

Reply to
Chuckles

It doesn't take much practice to figure out the right dilution for the squirt bottle without killing the surrounding grass too. My rule of thumb is 2 to 3 tablespoons to a 2 litre Coke bottle. The hose dispenser mix is a lot more dilute.

I spray the Roundup_ after _mowing the lawn so that the Roundup will be taken up by the dandelion roots and leaf wounds. It worked. I suppose the cut grass absorbed the Roundup too but the recent rain plus the Roundup spray mix, and I was stingy with that expensive chemical, seemed to have kept the lawn green and healthy. The dilution must have been suitable.

Roundup is supposed to kill only broadleaf plants. My lawn was also rid of thistles, stinkweed and assorted unamed broadleaves now that the subject has come up. Of course I had to be careful not to let the spary touch my broadleaf garden plants. One side of a small peach tree died when, because the hose was not long enough, I did some distance spraying and the spray drift hit that side.

Reply to
KLM

KLM wrote in news:q3gt90lipl447hmq2dh2mtck98lqr7kmlm@

4ax.com:

No, Roundup kills pretty much indiscriminately. Weed-b-gon kills broadleaf plants but leaves grass alone.

Reply to
Chuckles

If you've already forgotten the actual BEING a jerk, to which I was then responding, you're more of a clueless nuisance than I thought.

I shall waste no more of my time on you.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

Then, you must believe that enough valid research exists for consumers to consider lawn chemicals as "proven safe". Right? Good. Go find the research.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I'll have to backdown on the Chemical ID of the weedkiller I used. The plain black lettering-on-white paper label, with the chemical name but no trade name, had fallen off years ago. The farm supplies clerk who sold the stuff called it Roundup and it certainly smelled the same as the Roundup I bought from the garden store. It had the same dark tea color and its slightly "oily" viscosity. The clerk described it as a broadleaf weedkiller and it did work that way.

The garden variety Roundup did kill indiscrimately if applied with inproper dilution. It barely worked if the recommended dilution was made. At the cost of something like $40 a quart can for the garden variety Roundup you bet I applied the stuff very sparingly. I am guessing at the explanation - the possibility would be that the spot Roundup application leached away from the application spot into the surrounding area without Roundup thus diluting it further and reducing its efficacy. Further, spot application meant I missed as many weeds as I had killed and the survivors repopulated the lawn. With the farm Roundup I sprayed the whole lawn after a rainshower for the reasons given in my original post. The effort worked and that's all I ever wanted. I have a >8000 sq ft lawn about twice the size of the neighbors. Its the only relatively dandelion free lawn in the immediate neighborhood.

Reply to
KLM

That's a pretty good description (brown, oily, smells, farm guy called it "broadleaf weedkiller") of 2,4-d. Round-Up is clear and I don't recall it having much of an odor.

Also I think you said you killed a tree or some bushes with overspray. That would be a broadleaf herbicide like 2,4-d, tryclopyr, or trimec.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

KLM wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Clearly you will never quit calling it Roundup, but the effects of spraying an entire lawn with Roundup are too terrible to contemplate.

Reply to
Chuckles

OK call it a broadleaf weed killer and leave it at that. Its a mouthful but I can't mislead others with yet another chemical ID if I don't know what the original label said.

Reply to
KLM

Visited the harware store and read up the labels. You are right. Roundup is a stystemic weeder and will kill all vegetation. Killex is the one that is selective for broadleaves.

Reply to
KLM