how do I clean kitchen floors made of slate stone?

my kitchen floors are made of slate stone. they have grease droplets & spots on them. what should I use to remove the grease? soap products do not seem to do the job.

best, Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Epstein

For fresh spots, dry fuller's earth and heat. Disguised as plain kitty litter or Oil-Dri at your local store. Grind it in dry with your rubber- soled foot. Scrub clean. This absorbs and blots the oil instead of surfacting it and spreading it around like a wet cleaner.

If edible oil has dried and polymerized inside the porous stone, like oil paint, then you have an indelible stain. You can only get some of it off the surface by using paint remover techniques (lye, over cleaner, methylene chloride, etc). The deeper portion will be untouchable, but you can roughen the surface to try to match the surrounding texture and color.

Treating all the bare stone with a sealer may better match the oil-soaked spots and will delay or prevent future soak-ins of spills.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Home Depot brand Zep will do the trick. It comes in a bag, granules, about

5 bucks a bag. Pour it over the spots and let it set and it will absorb them.

After they are clean I'd recommend putting some type of water seal on them.

Reply to
Lost-In-Translation

Dear Richard & Lost in Translation: thank you for your suggestions! best,\ Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Epstein