Hot tub leak

Ok guys, I recently picked up this hot tub used and it needed a new circulation pump to work. I got the pump and installed it, while installing it, one of the plastic elbows broke coming off the heater do to it being old and a tight fit for everything. I replaced it and cleaned up the tubing and even added hose clamps instead of the little spring loaded ones it had on it. I got the tub about 1/4 way full and could not resist the erge to see if tub would power on for 2 seconds and then shut it off.....I countinued filling the tub and started to notice some water builing up. I then noticed a leak right where the breakoff valve ( I think that is what it is called) was in the tube going to the new circ pump. I am wondering if I could have built up some pressure in the line with turning it on the 2 seconds. I am not looking forward to tearing it back apart. Thanks for any input.

Reply to
fzbuilder

The real risk in doing this is if the heater is on and doesn't have water flowing past it. Typically these heaters are about 6KW and just inside a 2" pipe housing. With no water and powered, it will burn out quickly. Even if it were completely dry, 2 secs wouldn't burn it out though.

.I countinued filling the tub and started to

I never heard of a breakoff valve. But whatever is leaking has nothing to do with you turning it on for a few seconds. The leak needs to be fixed.

Reply to
trader4