Honda HR214 cable problem and running

After over 15 years I finally had a problem with this. The control cable that starts the blade up has broken, or at least come unattached, from the handle. It's not obvious to me how to reattach it. There are about three "threads" of the cable hanging there. Any help?

Another problem is, after starting and in choke, the engine runs up and down until it warms up. If I switch to "high" then it dies. I have to set it back to choke to start it again but it still starts in one or two pulls. I took it to the crap dealer down the street but he didn't fix it for $65 and I really don't want to go back to him. The filter is clean and I think they changed the spark plug but don't recall. Anything I should look at?

Reply to
drhowarddrfine

I have the same mower, I looked at mine and where the cable attaches to the handle there is about 1 1/2 inches of threads, held in place by two nuts,if you look its the same setup as the cable that controls the self propelled lever, I'de say your cable is broken, unless it fell off it should all be there, and very evident that's its broke.

The running problem the carburetor needs cleaned, most likely something in one of the jets. Take it to a Honda repair shop.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

The cables are held onto a bracket on the underside of the handles. A couple of nuts on each side of the bracket adjust and tighten the cable to the bracket.

Since your cable is obviously toast anyway, go buy a new cable (about $18). It'll come with new adjuster nuts, and a new spring if it's needed for that control. I'd recommend taking the old cable with you when you go to get parts though. The last time I ordered they got both cables wrong, and I had to reorder. :)

Ironically, the blade cable is the one cable I have not replaced.

The carburator probably needs to be adjusted.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband