HIRING A CONTRACTOR?? This post may save you BIG $$$$$$$$$$

Check this site out especially if you are thinking of building a pole barn in the East coast area. Here is the site.

Read the story about the dead architect.

Reply to
chuckster

this contractor should be in prison.

Reply to
digitalmaster

Sure is a beauty. I had a new roof put on a few years back and up until now, I though it looked pretty good. It does not have the ridging like yours, that gives such an artistic touch to it. Mind if I copy the pattern?

Mistakes could happen, but without seeing the pictures, I'd never believe a crew could put us such a structure. Not all of that in just one building. Levitating studs and all. Incredible.

Good luck with whatever you get out of the SOB.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I will bet he has 20+ judgements against him and nobody can collect, because nothing is in his name, check your courthouse records. I had a hack like that do work for me.

Reply to
m Ransley

That's truely a horror story. I've never seen so much so wrong on one job site. I'm curious as to what you think the homeowner can/should do to avoid these contractors and situations? Also, is there a good way to "stop the insanity" early on when you're in the middle of this situation?

Let's try to turn this into a positive by posting some good ideas and proceedures for homeowners to avoid these problems!

I guess the most obvious are: check references check local BBB check with area suppliers (lumber yards, etc.)

What else?

Reply to
Richard Thoms

Reply to
chuckster

let me guess...he was the low bidder.

Reply to
marson

To check out a builder of course you look at a few jobs, but they will of course give you only good refrences. One is dont pay a large down payment. 2 check his court records to see if suits have been brought against him in the past. 3 you have to have enough not paid on the contract 50-75% to ensure he will fix things or not get paid.

Reply to
m Ransley

Sounds like a couple of guys need to get together with him, a backhoe, and a sapling and plant a tree.

Know whut uh mean, Vern?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

How did all this get by the inspector?

Reply to
badgolferman

Pole barns are easy to get by the inspection process. First you get the footing inspection then you get the final inspection, because there is nothing "covered up" that can't be seen on the final. There are multiple violations on this job that were picked up on the final inspection. If you read the story Sturdy Built says they do not have to do what the inspector says.

badgolferman wrote:

Reply to
chuckster