Heating System Addendum

I think maybe I've found out what kind of heating system I have.

I've been searching on Google, and I think maybe it's just called a "freestanding room heater". Here's the description:

"Often they resemble new, freestanding wood stoves and are fired by wood, pellets, oil or gas. They are not connected to ductwork."

This describes perfectly what I have!

So, now, does anyone have any experience with this kind of unit? I've never seen anything like this before---is this a kind of heating system that is used for a particular reason, or could it just be because it's an old house that never had it's heating system updated?

The "heater" itself doesn't look all that old. . .

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

It is a ventless heater, I hope you get a good, new, digital read out, Co alarm-meter.

Reply to
m Ransley

It's replacing a wood-stove, and it heats the house by convection, the same way the stove would. If you heat the house that way, you have to make sure that you get airflow through all the spaces you want heated, and the chances are good that there will always be cold spots anyway. More so if you're shy and insist on closing bedroom doors, and such. There's nothing at all WRONG with it, my cousins lived that way for years, with most of the heat in the house coming from a woodstove in the kitchen, up through a grate, and cold-air coming down the back stair. If you're used to apartment dwelling, you will probably find it drafty.

Were I you, I'd budget money for replacing it and putting in a hot-water heating system, but live with it through one winter to see if you're willing to tolerate the way it works... If not, fine. If you CAN live with it, I guarantee that you'll find other places to put the money..

--Goedjn.

Reply to
default