Heat pump fan problem

I have a late-'80s vintage carrier heat pump. The compressor fan is not turning and the unit is not cooling. When the fan is not powered, it turns freely. When it is powered, it hums and is locked up -- can't be moved without difficulty.

This is just a bad fan motor, right? Or is there something else I should be checking before buying a replacement?

Thanks

JGM

Reply to
JGM

Can't see it from here.

Call a licensed tech and let them diagnosis it.

Reply to
HeatMan

Most likely a defective run capacitor (check for a round or oval shaped capacitor connected to two wires coming out of the motor)..

Reply to
Travis Jordan