Has anyone used Tuffblock for a deck?

Hello all,

I am building a deck. The land is slightly sloping and one side of the deck needs to be really close to the ground.

I came across this product at Lowes:

There is also a similar product that Home Depot sells.

Are these any good?

Thanks!

Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

We have occasional high winds so they wouldn't work for me.

Reply to
Randy Patzkowski

I would be reticent to use this and prefer metal. Despite their claim of UV stability they are using recycled polyolefin and I would doubt it. When I researched Trex I found that while they use recycled polyethylene original product did not hold up well and now it is covered with PVC.

When I had my Trex deck installed a few years ago, code required seating posts below frost line and posts are pressure treated wood.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

They can be used as intermediary supports in high wind areas, reducing the number of post holes that need to be dug. (assuming proper engineering and code compliancy)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

How much UV gets *under* a low level deck?

Were concrete footers set below the frost line prohibited? e.g. sonotubes?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Concrete and he might do that instead and cheaper.

My old deck posts were on a concrete patio and quite stable for 40 years but that was not up to current county code and the builder had to cut trough the patio, go down a yard and pour concrete footers. Our county is a PITA.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

So is my town. Fence code for back yard:

"6' from the back property line, dropping to 4' at the back line of the house."

I have an addition that is half the width of the house on the east side. The back of that addition is considered the back line of my house. Therefore the fence must drop to 4' at that line, even on the west side of the back yard as show here:

So even though the west section is still considered my "back yard" for all other code issues, it's not really a back yard when it comes to a fence.

I chose not to get a permit and ran 6' all the way to the *front* line of the house. It's been 35 years. No one has complained yet.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

In our county when an inspector comes out to look at something on a property he will look at adjacent properties for violations.

Guy that has solar panels on leaky roof I mentioned here has house next to our swim club and got in a tiff with the club. He called out a county inspector to report a club violation and inspector came out and gigged the club but also found a violation he had made and gigged him.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

If you're trying to keep the wall hoppers out you'll need more than 6'. You could prolly get a variance to build a 10' wall like barry and big mike...unless that's a privilege reserved for the hypocritical leftist elite.

Reply to
Karen

[shitpost snipped]

Hey...did you hear the one about the d*****ad who chose to take one of the few on topic posts down a political rathole? Man, is that dude a fuckwad or what?

It looks like this guy just read your post.

Marilyn Manson