Halogen Lamp Bulb Question

Hello:

Have lamp that uses those Linear T Halogen bulbs of 150 W.

Lamp has literally been eating bulbs lately. Not before this.

Have gone thru 3 new ones in about a week.

Anyone else experience this ?

Any thoughts on ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

The lamp socket is probably no good, I had one melt from arching , I junked the lamp. Cheap sockets or dirt and moisture can cause the lamp to arch and overheat ruining the bulb at the socket.

Reply to
ransley

I've got a bunch of brand new sockets for that style bulb I'll never use up myself. If you email me the overall length of the bulb in your lamp and it matches the sockets I've got I'd be happy to stick one in an envelope and mail it to you gratis.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Been there, done that...... It seems that once the socket is defective, they eat bulbs. Apparently they arc and burn up the bulb.

I have had at least 4 fixtures do this. I just replaced them. A new socket will fix it too, but often a new fixture is cheaper.

Reply to
alvinamorey

Other posters are mentioning bad sockets. Sometimes the sockets have corrosion that may be removable by scrubbing away with sandpaper or the right shape grinding tip.

Another possibility that comes to my mind: The replacement bulbs are junky pieces of garbage.

You will probably have better luck with reputable major brands, which include GE, Philips, Sylvania, Osram, and Ushio. Also look where they are manufactured - I have an impression that better ones are made in North America, Europe and Japan.

Don Klipstein