Gutter guards !

x-no-archive: yes HI sure need some excellent advice (Always have had a lot of good luck with this newsgroup :) ) Got one big problem with my gutters. When they get full my porch windows start leaking badly. Long story,but true. They fill rapidly because there is a gaint mature pecan tree next to the porch that always has something dropping .. mega leaves,mega pecans,mega seeds etc. I'm unable to clean them myself..and don't have anyone who can do it as much as it needs. I did have the metal wire mesh 'leaf guards' that was curved into the gutters,. After time,they proved totally worthless.Can you PLEASE point me in the right direction to find something that is GOOD and will work ? I've seen a lot of leaf guards advertised but do not have a clue which one is any good .. if you have something that works would you email here or directly and let me know what it is and how costly it is ??? THANK YOU so much ! Anita a n i t a h @ h o u s t o n . r r . c o m ....... remove spaces :)

Reply to
noname

snipped-for-privacy@void.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com:

This is the kind I have.

I have tons and tons of leaves. None go into the gutter anymore. And when they're falling from the trees they don't stick onto the guard at all (they don't block it). I had a professional roofer install. It was expensive, but I couldn't install them. It sure saves a lot of work - no more gutter cleaning and the water runs freely. Marina

Reply to
Marina

Leafguard gutters work well. They have a built in gutter helmit. On my previous house I tried add-on gutter helmits and they were worthless.

Reply to
Art

In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from "Art" :

In my view, gutter covers are crap. They totally enclose the rain gutter, so you might as well not have gutters in a heavy rain when you need them the most. The best I've seen are the Steelco screens. They're not like the cheap stuff at the home improvement stores. It's good stuff, let all the rain in the gutters, and keep out the leaves and debris. YMMV.

MA

Reply to
Ronald Carter

Art news:VVHqd.3657$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Got to put a word in for LeafGuard gutters here - Fantastic! Screens and other DIY efforts generally deliver disappointing result unless you have just a few broadleaf trees and are still willing to clean them off (and the gutters out) on occasion. If you're like me... LOTS of large trees with broad and small leaves as well as some evergreens with needles, you need something better. LeafGuard gutters do it for me. You can check 'em out at

.

Gutters have come a long way since they first appeared. Problem is the old types don't work well and the new are expensive. I live in a East coast 3-story home with a pretty steep pitch and I get my share of heavy thunderstorms, heavy snow, and ice. The LeafGuards handle it all and the only maintenance I have to worry about is spraying off the outside edge of the guard once or twice a year with the water hose.

I cringed when I discovered the price... but am now happy that i went for it. Oh and I don't work for them... just a satisfied customer.

Reply to
John Doe

I watched a TV show several months ago (either "This Old House Classic" or "Inside This Old House"). In that show, they were showing a gutter-cover-type gutter guard that the water was supposed to stay on the surface of the gutter guard and flow on to the gutter when the gutter guard surface bended downward. But when they hosed the roof with water (not a large stream of water), I saw that almost 50% of the water fell off the gutter guard and onto the ground (instead of falling into the gutter). The TV show host didn't say anything about this and continued saying things like the gutter guard was working well. I found that show was very funny.

I am currently using metal gutter screens in my house. They work quite well.

Jay Chan

Reply to
jaykchan

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

We have gutter guards on our house. We got them when installing a new roof and gutters. When there is a heavy rain we can hear the water flowing thru the gutters. No more water leaks(or clogged gutters) into the basement. The first few times of big rains we wanted to see how the gutters worked. It was great. The water was gushing out of the downspouts like crazy. We're very pleased with the gutter guards. We have really big trees and none of the leaves that fall ever wind up on the gutters.

I don't know about the TV show in your message. If they sprayed the roof of course you'd see water splashing and bouncing all over the place. Marina

Reply to
Marina

you have a specific problem, a tree dumping debris into your gutter, which some of the answers you received so far don't seem to address properly

there are basically two ways to deal with this kind of gutter problem effectively:

  1. make sure your gutters are clean before it rains (time consuming and disappointing when you forget)
  2. gutter caps or helmets (added to existing gutters - make sure they are installed properly, improper installation can have you saying things like one of the negative comenters here), or the add the entire leaf proof gutter system

i read all the negative stuff here about leaf proof systems and, one comment, BALONEY

also, putting any kind of screen in the gutter or downspouts means the screens will clog with water flowing through the gutters, screens are not a wise idea and suggested against by "the experts"

Reply to
effi

At least it is easier to clean leaves out of a screen than from an elbow on the downspout.

Reply to
thestaffords

My son-in-law just installed these:

I am not yet certain that I like them or not but no more leaf problem

Reply to
ABC