Ground Connection For Furnace And Generator

Exactly

Reply to
gfretwell

That's fine for emergency hooks up like I did, but I' like to install a plug and play set-up.

The one in the video (cord and plug) doesn't "work" because it disconnects the ground from the furnace once the plug is disconnected from the receptacle.

Greg's 3-way switch and inlet solves that problem quite nicely.

Something like this would be perfect because it could replace the On-Off switch currently installed on the furnace.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sorry... I left off the "perfect" link. ;-)

DerbyDad03

Man, how many times can I screw up just trying to post a link?

Here is the link I meant to post. Inlet receptacle with a switch for line power, generator power and off.

DerbyDad03

But the furnace really doesn't have a clue if the "ground" is grounded or not, as long as the neutral is "bonded" to the generator ground.. It's just a "reference" to the furnace.

Reply to
clare

That's the way I'd do it if I didn't have a transfer switch/interlock at the panel.. Just switch the live from the panel to the genset, and leave everything else connected. My brother did that ay his place - he plugs the "house extention cord" into the generator. It has 4 or 5 outlets strategically located around the house to plug things into, and a 3 way switch on the furnace. - all hard-wired - no extention cords inside the house - and theconnection to the house is the same as the connection to his travel trailer.

Reply to
clare

Some folks might even backfeed the whole panel through the clothes dryer receptacle - allowing the generator to supply their well pump, sump pump, freezer, etc .. as well as the furnace. Selectively - by opening & closing the panel breakers. Of course they always remember to open the main breaker first and close it last, after the generator is shut off. John T.

Reply to
hubops

In most cases you can just as easily put an Interlockit slide on the main panel together with an inlet and then power whatever you want in the whole house.

Reply to
trader_4

Yeah, but...

I'm not looking to power too much, mainly the furnace, one fridge and a couple of lights. I did that the other night with a couple of extension cords off a 3500 watt generator. It was good enough for SWMBO and I. We camp, so roughing it a bit - inside a house - is no problem. :-)

The main goal is to get the furnace up and running as quick as possible and the switch I linked to does it quick and easy. (As would Greg's suggestion of a homemade unit with a 3 way switch and inlet.)

I'm also not looking to buy (and store) a huge generator for the rare times that the power goes out for anything that resembles an "extended period".

3500W is probably more than enough but I need to run some numbers before I pull the trigger. My neighbor bought a 7000W beast that he never even got hooked up before the power came back on.

We were lucky. We were without power for less than 36 hours. The out-of-state crew cleared the lines and restored power along a 1/2 mile route north of, and including, my street. On the next street to the south and for another 1/4 mile the generators are still running. I'm not sure what the delay is. There must have been 15 trucks - bucket trucks, pole setting trucks, electrician trucks - working late into Thursday evening to restore my part of the neighborhood. Since then all we've seen is a few trucks mainly clearing downed trees south of me. There are still poles to be set and wires to be strung. It sucks to be those without power. It's been in the low to mid teens since Thursday night.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

As would an Interlockit on the panel and inlet. Looks like the same or less work than your switch/inlet solution for just the furnace.

3500W is probably fine. During Sandy, we had two houses running on one that was either that or 5KW tops. That was several fridges, power vent water heaters, some lights, and furnaces. And we didn't do much to manage those loads either.
Reply to
trader_4

I bought a 5.5KW several years ago. (a deal I couldn't refuse I put in the breaker interlock kit and a cable to connect the generator. The power has not failed since. Great insurance. The generator has never even had gas in it. Every once in while I pull it over a few times, rock it and slosh the oil around. The guy I bought it from had the same experience for the 3 years he owned it. It was still in the box when I bought it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Load management is the problem when you are feeding the main panel. You may find that there is just too much on the 2 or 3 circuits you want to enable.

Reply to
gfretwell

re: "The generator has never even had gas in it."

Just FYI...both generators I dealt with this week had never had gas in them.

The one I borrowed was a few years old but never used. The guy that lent it to me put a little gas in it but we couldn't get it started while I was at his house. I brought it home anyway, with the plan to try some starting fluid. I decided to try to start it without the starting fluid and after a few sputter and fails, it started. I'd have to say that we tried 30+ pulls between his house and mine before it finally started. (Yes, the choke was set correctly)

My neighbor's was brand new out of the box and we ended up using starter fluid after 10 or so failed pulls. One sputter-fail, then success.

I only bring that up so you don't get worried when you try to start yours in an emergency. Store a can of starting fluid with it and save your arm.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I bought a 5 kw gen and had the cables and such. Never started it up. About 3 years later the power failed when it was dark. Messed with it for about 2 hours trying to crank it up but it would not start. Thenthe power came on. The next day my son in law came over and we looked at it . Seems there was an on/off switch that was in the off position. The book did not show that. As soon as we switched it to the onposition it started with 2 pulls. I started it about once a month after that.

Moved and for some reason I failed to start it for about 2 years. Power went out, and it would not crank. Bought a new generator and put some oil in it,but never did start it. Gas had gunked up the carburator of the old one. Cleaned that out the next day and it would start with the usual 2 pulls. Started it about once a month again. Power did not go out for 2 years, so I drained all the gas and ran it empty. Have not needed it.

So here I sit with 2 generators for several years and I bet neither will start if I need one again.

Too bad it is notlike a garden tiller I have. I use that thing once or maybe twice a year. When done with it, I let it run empty. For the last 10 years it has started with one pull, or at the most 2 pulls every year.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That's why I'm keeping it simple. Plug and play for the furnace, extension cords for a fridge and a few lights. Easily adaptable as the situation warrants.

LED Hug lLights and headlamps work really well. We have a few sets for camping.

The Hug Lights I have were a little more expensive than this model but has

3 levels of white light and 1 for red. The red is really good when you just need a little light, like in a bedroom when someone is sleeping.

DerbyDad03

So turn off a few switches or pull a few plugs.

I have a 7Kw genset that produces 5Kw on natural gas, or 7 on propane or Gasoline. Used with interlock on 125 amp service.

Reply to
clare

Ground isn't important. Current only flows through live and neutral.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's important for those of us who don't walk on water.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Actually it's more important if you walk on water.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword