Grey Squirrel Birthing Patterns

I live in Massachusetts and squirrels have gotten into the area above my sun parlor ceiling though some rotted fascia board. The entry point is clearly visible. Before trying to drive them out (I propose loud banging, mothballs and ammonia soaked rags which I will position at the end of the ceiling opposite the entry point by making another hole), can someone tell me when the young are most likely to have left the nest? Once before I waited until November, and had no problem with dead squirrels/babies left inside. (My worst fear.) Yep, you're right. I didn't extend the wire mesh far enough beyond the point where they got in before and they chewed around it and got in again! *This time* I will be sure all the rotted wood is replaced completely! Thanks Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Don't worry about the young. We call them "tree rats" here in Tennessee for a reason--they breed like rats! Fix a heavy gauge hardware cloth where they knawed through. Rotted wood is not good at all, at any time in or on the home, remove it ASAP.

I trap squirrels to help reduce the population, but I need to trap several times a year to keep it under control. Good luck!

Reply to
Phisherman

Interesting question. You can probably find more than this:

I would imagine young might be out by now.

Son had problem last year that resulted in dead squirrel in wall and cost him several hundred dollars for removal and repairs.

Reply to
Frank

It depends on area, in midwest chicago area babies came out in may, but im sure another batch may be comming.

Reply to
ransley

Caution, rags soaked with ammonia may not work, they will just smell like urine. Most wild animals have no problems with "natural smells" like urine, etc. I have found that most animals cannot stand chemical smells. So try something un-natural in the smell you want to use.

Reply to
EXT

By late July the first litter has probably already left the nest -- but you need never concern yourself about the newborn's welfare when removing nesting squirrels. So long as the adults have an easy route out (if you place a long pole between the entry point and the ground) the adults will carry the young out as soon as they decide to vacate. Five to 10 minutes banging on the fascia (with another long pole) usually suffices.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

If your gray squirrel went North far enough he would be "grey". But not in Mass. ; )

Reply to
Bob Villa