Green Patina on Copper.

Does anybody have experiance greening Copper and greening Copper paint. Muriatic and other acids are used as I have read.

has a system but its very expensive and I want to do large items, although it seems to be relatively safe on lungs. Muriatic fumes, runs, spots and ruins my sprayers. I was thinking of a thick acid base toilet cleaner that will stick. [right now im hacking from Muriatic fumes] . I am trying now to get a green patina on copper paint I have sprayed. Any ideas that work and are easy and safe.

Reply to
ransley

I ran across this - should help.

"I was just looking for copper patina recipe and was to DIY site and found the complete recipe (with amounts) on David Marks workshop. Copper Patina Mixture Following is the list of ingredients and procedures for the copper-patina solution provided by David Marks. Safety Alert: The copper patina solution is toxic. Follow safety precautions, and always wear protective gloves when working with wood stains, solvents and other toxic chemicals.

Ingredients: Ammonium chloride, 1/2 ounce Copper sulfate, 1/2 ounce Household salt, 1/4 ounce Hot water, 8 ounces Zinc chloride, 1/16 ounce Sawdust, 1/2-dozen handfuls, or enough to cover the copper surface of the project. Acetic Acid or vinegar, 1/8 ounce

Mixture and application:

Always add the chemicals to the water. Never add the water to the chemicals. Stir chemicals and water until everything has dissolved. Use a spray bottlewith water and dampen sawdust. Then mix the chemical solution into the sawdust (figure A). Save about 15 to 20 percent of the solution (to drip on and apply later). Spray water onto copper, press sawdust onto surface, wrap with cheesecloth, spray with water so that the cheesecloth and sawdust cling to the copper (figure B). Drip remaining chemical solution onto cheesecloth and sawdust and copper. Wrap with 4 mil plastic sheets (figure C). Seal with duct tape and set aside for three weeks. After three weeks, unwrap (figure D). Use water and an old brush to gently remove the crusty sawdust (figure E). Let the sun dry the copper surface (figure F). Finally, dab micro- crystalline wax onto surface (figure G) and let dry. Hope this helps.... there are pictures on site too if you want to see the process.

And some other recipes and info:

RicodJour

Thanks. Im thinking of doing a big garage door and wrought iron storm- securty doors, planters etc. That Modern Masters site shows large high buck projects in Vegas that look great. But with experimenting it could all look like crap when im done.

Reply to
ransley

Straight copper sulfate solution should do the job.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You dont know copper, maybe in 20-30 yrs it goes green, in the desert type invironments, maybe never. Green paint is green paint, some use it on their brown lawn, do you.

Reply to
ransley

ransley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t10g2000vbg.googlegroups.com:

I have not yet seen it mentioned that the green patina on the copper is poisonous. just a remark.

Reply to
Han