Great way to paint

philo

Well, how else are they supposed to paint there.

Reply to
micky

Me and my buddies worked our way through college and did some really dumb things...but not quite as dumb as in that picture.

If we could not reach something, we'd either tie our brush to a long stick or else use a roller with a long pole screwed into the handle.

Reply to
philo

That does look a bit risky. Blue shirt guy could suffocate.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Telescoping poles are sold, which can take paint rollers. This ladder trick looks dangerous.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's way more foolish than anything I could have thought of.

Reply to
philo

They're doing it all wrong.

The guy in the blue shirt should be bending a 4X8 sheet of plastic laminate into that wall/ceiling corner. (so that it covers 4 feet of the ceiling at a time)

And the guy in the red shirt should be on the safe side of the banister painting up to that plastic laminate with a paint roller on a pole.

That way, the survival rate is higher.

Reply to
nestork

Then you are not thinking hard enough.

When I was young and foolisher, I helped a friend paint the outside of his house. We didn't go have a ladder that would reach the small triangle above the third story (attic) window, just below the peak of the roof. Something like this...

We took the sashes out of the window and screwed a 2 x 10 across the opening. My friend climbed out of the window, standing on the sill, facing the house. I stood inside the attic with my arms wrapped around his thighs, holding him against the 2 x 10. Another friend kept loading up the brush with paint and handing it out to my friend.

His wife watched from the sidewalk, crying hysterically. Man, was she pissed.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It looks safe enough to me. Not much way the ladder can fall. It can only move sideways.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Amazing.

Here is the dumbest thing we ever did.

We were painting a house similar to the one shown and needed a 40 foot ladder which we did not have.

We ended up tying two together. We used quite a few sections of very strong rope that were not going to let go...then we hefted the ladder up.

The ladders tied together were wooden,,,and very heavy...and that's what the problem was, we could not get it back down again.

Eventually once the coast was clear, we just let it fall!

Reply to
philo

You Yanks don't know nothing. This is the real man's way to paint a room.

harryagain

Nope, haven't tried that one yet.

When we were painting houses though we did come up with an ingenious idea though:

Use a pantograph

Reply to
philo

The way I paint, I might as well try that. I do cover everything before I start. The finished room looks fine, but there is almost as much paint on the drop cloths as on the walls.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

About three years ago I carried a gallon of Latex paint up from the basement.

It had been sitting around for a /long/ time so I stirred it well.

As I carried it up the stairs I very carefully kept my eyes on the top of the pail to make sure I did not spill one drop.

Of course I did not notice there was a small hole in the bottom!!!!

It was dark brown paint and I never was able to completely clean all of it out of the carpet. Fortunately the carpet was dark and multi-colored so it's /almost/ indiscernible.

It had obviously rusted and the act of opening the can must have broken it through.

My conclusion: Don't store Latex paint for ten years or more!

Reply to
philo

Hey, I like Mr. Bean! ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I had tears in my eyes I laughed so hard at that video. I'm going to send it to several of my DIY friends.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Lots of his stuff on Youtube.

harryagain

You Yanks don't know nothing. This is the real man's way to paint a

He's one of those wonderfully funny people whom you only have to look at in order to start laughing hysterically. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Real name Rowen Atkins. You hardly see him on the box these days. Used to be on once a week. Made a pile of money and retired. You might like this also. Blackadder. (Same guy)

harryagain

You Yanks don't know nothing. This is the real man's way to paint a

Heck, I remember him as comic relief in a James Bond movie. I also remember seeing him with Monty Python, another group of nuts I'm a big fan of. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas