cfl observation

I've got a cabin WAY up north. No internet, no tv, no FM, just AM radio and the heavens.

The AM stations are pretty weak, but they'll do. We recently installed some CFL bulbs. We have to turn them off to listen to the AM radio. They cause a lot of interference.

Before I drop max bucks on an LED, anyone know if the generate this kind of noise?

Reply to
oldyork90

Some do, some don't. The key is to get the radio antenna as far away from the noise source as possible, unless the noise is coming in on the radio power cord. Obviously this only works if the antenna is not built into the innards of the radio.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

I found this

which implies more chance of interference in the FM band

The only way you will know for sure would be to try one and place your radio near it.

When I was a baby (1950), our family lived in Northern Wisconsin .

This was in the days when there really was not much other than AM radio.

I was told they could just barely pick up one station.

Reply to
philo

Interesting observation and I just tested it myself with a portable radio and if I got within a foot of the cfl you could not hear the radio with all the static. Also noticed it on an incandescent bulb but had to get within inches for the same effect.

With the cfl, static started about 5 ft away and I suspect with your weak radio signals, cfl static would overcome it easier.

With an LED flashlight, I saw no effect on radio.

I would guess that some cfl bulbs are worse than others as some I have give off a humming sound.

My regular fluorescent shop light gives more radio interference until it gets fully fired up.

Reply to
Frank

This webpage has a rather lengthy explanation of a CFL's generation of RF energy. The relevant paragraph is quoted here:

"As an interference test, you can locate an AM receiver at Medium Frequency near the CFL and the reception will be interfered with an audible noise that you can hear.

The CFL generate an electromagnetic field in the 40-50kHz bandwidth, which can interfere with other electronic circuits; these emissions are in the near field due to the band of frequencies. If the room has some electronic devices that are sensitive to these magnetic fields, it is desirable to replace the CFL with another type of light, such as LED connected to a voltage regulator employing a linear regulator with no switching power. The incandescent lights can be used as well because they don?t have emissions."

No clue how to identify an LED bulb with a "linear regulator with no switching power" unless the package makes mention.

Reply to
Retired

An LED running from a battery would be very "clean" of noise... it's the converter than would generate the noise.

Reply to
philo

You're right. After posting I started googling cfl/led radio interference and see both can be bad.

I'm a big fan of LED flashlights but might be reticent to put one of these bulbs in the house.

Reply to
Frank

I lucked out today.

Did some computer repair work for a guy in the lighting business and in lieu of getting cash I am going to be getting a number of full spectrum fluorescent tubes and fixtures plus some CFL full spectrum lights.

He said that LED's are too expensive . I hope eventually the price goes down...but after my last combined gas and electric bill I realize that most of my incandescents will have to go.

Reply to
philo

I've got several LED flash lights which are excellent. You think the home bulbs might make some RF, with AC power being recticent to DC?

Curses on big government, like big pharma. Making all kinds of laws and substitutions with major side effects.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thats a great point. The FCC should test cfl bulbs and take them off the market if they fail to meet EMI limits. The NAB shold lobby the FCC to do this. Then the FCC and the EPA can duke it out to see who is going to protect us best. The old incandescent bulbs do have some advantages in some applications. Mark

.
Reply to
makolber

you could always go to a store that has demo LEDs and bring your radio to test it

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

I've replaced most of my incandescents with CFL's. LED's don't use that much less energy to justify their high cost compared to CFL's.

With their longer lifetime, I really like CFL's in those fixtures hard to service like those in the kitchen where glass must be removed to get at the bulbs. In bathroom fixtures where you only spend a few minutes and lights are on and off frequently, CFL's do not last nearly as long. I've got a powder room with original incandescent super bulbs in them nearly 40 years old.

Reply to
Frank

Hi, If radio signal is strong enough. noise won't bother much. I use Japan Radio NRD-535D all mode receiver out at my cabin. With it's good noise blanker and high sensitivity front end Noises from CFL, furnace, wireless thermostat is negligible. Also I home brewed high gain log periodic TV antenna I installed in upstairs attic. I can pick up 2 stations which fed thru AV receiver which handles ARC. But mostly I read books using my Kobo Glo.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I am just starting to like CFL's as I found a small sized 100w equivalent that I was able to but in an antique light fixture in my office. I had a low wattage incandescent there as I was worried about excess heat.

Reply to
philo

Hi, Hoarded some incandescent bulbs from the store shelves. As of Jan. 1 this year legally no more selling of incandescent bulbs. Specially I collected enough spares for our chandeliers. Will wait out until LED ones price come down low enough. Mostly I use daylight CFLs.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On 01/05/2014 06:29 PM, Tony Hwang wrote: X

I have a number of antiques chandeliers that I put "reproduction" antiques bulbs in. I am assuming that since they are a specialty item they will be exempt from the ban. CFL's will /not/ quite make the grade.

Reply to
philo

No more importing or manufacturing. What is already here can be sold, and wholesalers and large stores probably stocked up, like they did the previous two years.

But today was as good a day as any. No reason to wait until they are almost gone.

Reply to
micky

I have a desk lamp on the kitchen table, so I have enough light to read by, and in the summer it got so hot I couldn't take it anymore. 100 watts. I changed to CFL and all is good.

Yes, despite what ABC TV News said, only the standard shape (actually 3 or 4 shapes, but all very similar) is banned. All the dozens or hundreds of other shapes are okay. I wonder what percentage of the market they are/used to be.

Reply to
micky

That's right. So-called decorative incandescent bulbs are not affected.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

The deal (reached back in 2007) was to regulate only the bulbs that used the most energy. I don't know the total percentage of the total bulb market involved; but the 40 watt and 60 watt household bulbs are about 60% of the standard bulb market.

Tomsic

Reply to
=