Gotta Lotta Bottle

Is this the answer to US milk over production?

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Reply to
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Define "overproduction'. I understand that places like New Zealand decided to piggy back off of US price supports on dairy (basically the US government was buying milk and sequestering it to prop up the price). When that ended (Reagan and Clinton) the milk ended up on the world market. Russia was buying it but those sanctions we keep talking about, shut off that market, the price crashed and dairy farmers suffered. That is the part of the sanctions nobody seems to want to talk about.

Reply to
gfretwell

Somebody posted an awful video on dairy production in New Zealand where calves were slaughtered right after birth. A story is here:

Of course animal rights people come down on this from the worst viewpoint.

Reply to
Frank

We were in NZ a while ago and watched Paul Henry until he retired. There was always a lot of talk about "dairy". It seems NZ decided dairy was better than sheep back in the days when the US was buying and giving all of our excess dairy away to poor people. Reagan/Bush and finally Carter killed that program. Then the Russians and Chinese came on board and took up the slack. Now that the Russians are embargoed, dairy is a glut on the market and dairy farmers are selling their cows for meat. (including in the US). Like I said the russian sanctions hurt everyone.

Reply to
gfretwell