Gluing Plastic on Plastic

When I was looking into a similar problem, I found a long thread in sci.chem about gluing PE/PP plastic. Search on "plastic welding", I think. Short version: it's hard to do. Someone said that Loctite has a product, "Plastix", consisting of "a surface activator and compatible cyanoacrylate adhesive," which claims to be suitable "even for PE/PP."

I did the soldering iron thing, to fix an inner fender and air intake ducting on a Cavalier. It's been holding for a couple of years.

George

Here's a handy link:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Fool? Petroleum Oil, or Naptha is a common ingrediant, there is a reason JB says dont use it as any contaminent will shorten bond life. Brand formulations vary since its a formulation, not a pure solvent, since it varies its not recommended, but you should still use it, I will feel better.

Reply to
ransley

Yes, fool. You. Fool. You should take this saying to heart: "Better to be silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

Petroleum oil and naphtha [the correct spelling] are not the same thing. And neither one is a "common ingredient" in denatured alcohol. Here, learn something:

to the MSDSs for seven common brands of denatured alcohol)

None of them contains petroleum oil, and only one contains any napththa (eight-tenths of one percent).

What *do* you see there as the most common contaminant? Methanol (methyl alcohol), just like I said.

Show me where JB says don't use denatured alcohol. You can't. It doesn't.

Like I said, Ransley, quit making crap up when you don't know, and you won't look like such a fool.

Reply to
Doug Miller