Gluing hard foam plastic to sheet alunimium

We have made a aluminum box to fit inside a Van and want to cover it in that white sheet plastic foam. I think the two materials are some what smooth or greasy to the touch. Is there a good recommendation on attaching the two materials together.

Reply to
james

I assume you are talking about Styrofoam. The high density foams have a better R factor, they are either pink or blue, polyiso is even better. There is a special version of liquid nails made for foam. I have also had good results with 3M spray adhesive.

Reply to
DanG

Smooth and greasy might be polyethylene foam, so you may not have much luck with adhesives. Best approach may be to round up a variety of materials and simply try out small samples of each. There many sealants and adhesives in the building materials at your local borg, so give it a try and good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

My first thought is 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Plastics can be tricky--roughen surface with sandpaper and clean with 92% alcohol or acetone (careful, this one may dissolve some plastics).

Reply to
Phisherman

Need to know what type of plastic. Polyethylene does not stick to anything. Polystyrene will dissolve with some solvent based adhesives. Consider mechanical fasteners like a big washer and a bolt through the aluminum.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski