genie garage door receiver problem...suggestions requested

Hi all

My family owns a cottage and a few months ago we replaced the garage door opener with a new modle Genie chain glide with Intellicode.

From Ebay for $15.00 I purchased a new Genie 12-pin reciever/remote in the hopes that I could hook it up to the new opener so the rest of the family could use the same remotes that we used for the old opener...however after installing the new 12-pin receiver and pressing the remote that came with the receiver, the opener does not run.

There are three terminals on the chain glide opener and I followed the instructions that came with the receiver (white wire to terminal one, black to 2 and red to three). I checked the code in the receiver and in the remote and they match, the opener was plugged in, everything else works (the wall control and the intellicode remotes that came

*with* the opener). The only thing that doesn't work is the 12 pin receiver/remote.

Is there anything else I need to do? Is the receiver just not compatible? Any suggestions/further instructions would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Tom

Tom, send an email to Genie at: genie snipped-for-privacy@overheaddoor.com They are very helpful & should know the answer.

Reply to
Patch

The type of receiver you just purchased was made for openers before they had the photo-cells wire to the terminal strip and the receiver was external of the motor cover. Hence terminals 1, 2, & 3 are not the same as they use to be. The receiver would have to be wired to the same wires as the internal receiver, but I do not know off hand the color codes of the wires. Hooking up the receiver improperly may cause irrepairable damage to the receiver and/or logic board. The new receiver is suppose to get power across the white & red and the white & black is the relay that tells the opener to operate.

Even if you get the new receiver to work you may not be happy w/ the results. Putting two receivers that close together may very well cause enough interference that some of the transmitters may not work very well, which means you may have to be in the garage to get them to work.

Why not simply get a new intellicode wireless keypad & install that for the family to get in the door. It may be a small hassle, but beats buying new transmitters for everyone.

May not be what you wanted to hear, but it's my 2-1/2 cents worth.

Doordoc

Doordoc