How thin to mix drywall joint compound

I've gotten a lot of good tips on the procedure for plaster crack repair, but no one has said anything about the consistancy of the mud. I've been mixing it with a consistancy of peanut butter (creamy, room temperature peanut butter to be more precise!) for the initial layers, but was wondering if a little thinner would be better for finishing layers.

I'm using Hamilton's 40 minute Smooth Set Lite.

TIA

Ed

Reply to
jagerEd

Thinner is a little better for the final layer. I like to put it on with a paint roller which is really fast. I don't put it in a roller like paint, but I just plunge the roller right in the bucket of compound. They make pads for the corners too, which is really fast as well.

Reply to
jeffc

Good move on the Hamiltons. You must have some confidence to use a 40 minute mix LOL.

Thin it with a little water a little looser than your peanut butter consistency.

Reply to
James Keene