Genie Excelerator

I installed a Genie Excelerator opener about 5 years ago. It has worked well up until last night's nearby lightning strike. We lost a variety of electronic things. The opener still works except for the safety sensor system. The sending side is not lit and the opener acts as one would expect - It opens just fine, but you must hold the button to close it. Is there a common part that fails in these situations? I can order a new board or a new set of safety sensors, but I thought one of you might have a hint as to which one is more likely to have failed. The voltage across the two terminals is only a few millivolts. That points to the board, but I suppose one of the sensors could have shorted. I think I'll go disconnect the sensors and see what the voltage does. In the mean time, any input is appreciated. ...Pat

Reply to
greenpjs

Update to the above post... With the sensors (safe-t-beam) disconnected, there is still no voltage at the terminals where the sensors connect. I also noticed there is a green led flashing 5 times. The manual says that means a safe-t-beam fault. Anyone know how to get to the circuit board? It looks like the whole thing must be disassembled. I can see the board through vent cracks in the base plate, but actually getting to it to inspect or change parts looks to be very difficult unless there is a secret one of you knows;-) ...Pat

Reply to
greenpjs

Call your insurance carrier. Check every electronic device in the house first before filing the claim. Clock radios, microwaves, laundry appliance controls, HVAC systems operation, etc. All should be 100% covered by insurance. Lightning is noted for doing weird things, so expect surprises that defy logic. Limit your diagnosis and repair to those things crucial to keeping the palazzo functional until the insurance company repair contractors arrive. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

*I can't help you with your garage door opener, but you should know that a common cause of lightning related incidences is due to a problem with the grounding system of your home. Your electrical service should have a single conductor connected to your water service pipe and also to at least one ground rod. If you don't have any idea what I am talking about have a qualified electrician come in for an inspection of your grounding electrodes and grounding electrode conductor. Your telephone service, cable TV service and/or dish should also be grounded.

I have seen it before where the garage door opener gets fried from lightning and I surmise that the lightning likes the concrete floor in the garage since it is a very good ground and travels the rails to get there.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I'm with the other Joe on this one. This should be covered by your home owner's insurance. You paid for the coverage, now is the time to use it. Let the pros worry about the problem, you have already paid for it.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

'insurance company repair contractors'? Hell, I can barely get mine to give me a check, much less perform concierge service for me.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Is this a washing machine? Sears often has exploded parts diagram. You can see the machine with the transmission, agiator, lid switches and so on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

From what I can figure, it's a washing machine he's working on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

  1. Quit top-posting.
  2. ??? He is clearly talking about a garage door opener.

-- aem sens....

Reply to
aemeijers

Click on the trouble shooting link