Generators, nat gas: Noise?

Maybe you should consider this before operating ANY internal combustion engine indoors:

Tom Lachance

Gunner Asch on Tue, 20 Dec 2011 21:16:15 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Goes for other stuff too. Lady friend wants a treadle sewing machine. (It does one stitch, and it goes no faster than she can handle.) We found a beaut in thrift shop, but it turned out to be a decorative reproduction. It might have been fixable, but we're on a short budget this month. But the folks running the store, they knew of one, at a different store "ask there - tell them Jim sent ya." OTOH, the other store, isn't there, but the one we did drop in on, had some really neat stuff. I went back for some Christmas Shopping.

I'll keep that in mind.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Hey, Pyotr, just a heads up but keep watching . We've got a 1920s vintage Singer treadle machine that we'll be auctioning at some point.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Follow the Follow-Up links at the bottom of that story - It was an old ("1980's") amateur install of a permanent propane fueled generator set in the basement, and it had an exhaust pipe to the outside - and the flexible duct pipe they used had rusted through and had a large leak. Simple maintenance would have found that, if they bothered to look.

And with the generator not being in a separate sealed-off room with lots of outside ventilation (probably because they were thinking "we want the heat from the running engine") the CO went into the house too.

Not silly rules when you don't follow them and people die.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human

"J. Clarke" on Fri, 23 Dec 2011 09:11:50 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I'm doomed B-)

tschus pyotr

Girlfriends, they start making you do weird thing. Wear Clean Clothes. Take baths regular like. Take out the garbage when it isn't even spring yet!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I have read that Stirling Engines are very efficient, very quiet and that they can use any fuel or heat source. The downsides to them are that they are big and heavy and they do not like to vary their operating speed. These downsides would be a problem in vehicles but not in an electricity generator for a home.

I think a Stirling Engine would be very good for an emergency generator for a home. I wonder if anyone has ever marketed one. I suspect that a Stirling Engine would last a very long time with minimal maintenance.

Reply to
Daniel Prince