generator back feed incorrect voltage?

Old generac generator. 2 - 110v receptacles and 1 - 220 volt receptacle. I wanted to back feed though a dryer plug (house main off of course) to save running cords all over the house and be able to run the well pump(220) without rewiring it. I figured I could run one hot side of 220 to one side of dryer, the other hot to the other side of dryer and the neutral to the center of the dryer plug. I get 220v across the 2 hots and 110v between each hot and neutral. However the results baffle me. Some of my house recept now show over 150v and others less than 80. Is there some phase problem with using the same neutral for all the 110 recepts? TIA

Reply to
calhoun

I told you folks ' Builder Paul " is the first sucker of many to BACK FEED into SHIT--------- DONT DO IT ,,,,,,

Reply to
mark Ransley

DONT BACK FEED

Reply to
mark Ransley

Do you observe this imbalance in the voltage when you're using the generator, or when you're using mains power from the power company?

Doug Miller

Don't. You proposal is highly unsafe. Run the extension cords. That will be much safer. If you need to run your pump, totally disconnect it from the mains wiring, and connect it to the 220V receptacle on the generator.

Reply to
Gary Tait