GE Washer Problem

I purchased a GE Model WHDSR209DWW washer 16 months ago, and a 5-yr warranty.

The laundry is on the second floor of the house, so the washer sits on a plastic tray that has a drain in the middle leading to the basement should there be a leak.

We noticed today after a wash there was about a 1/2 inch of water in the tray under the washer, and if you move the agitator, you can hear there is water in the machine under the tub.

I called for a warranty appointment today, but they can't come until Monday.

The warranty appointment scheduler (not a tech) said two common problems with washer leaks are a loose drain hose connection at the bottom of the back of the machine, and a loose or missing spring clip that is apparently supposed to hold the drain line at a proper angle. They said if I don't want to wait until Monday and the problem is one of these two things, to tighten the screws to the drain line connection, or they can ship a spring clip.

I don't see that the drain line is held against the back of the machine by a spring clip - the hose comes out of the machine, and the U-shaped end goes to the drain, but there is nothing in between. The drain line looks securely connected at the bottom.

Yes, I am going to get this repaired under warranty (albeit in 5 days), but I was just wondering what common problems could be a possible cause of having water in the tray under the washer, and inside the machine under the tub.

Reply to
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis

Your biggest problem is your pan drain, you should never find half an inch of water in it. It should, well, drain.

Reply to
spammer

The drain line comes up through the center of the pan about that high, so it drained any water above the top of the uppermost part of the drain.

Reply to
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis

So you're right, it's not possible that it can drain the water that is below the top of the drain. Maybe the drain could be redesigned, but in that case, you might have a leak and never know it, because the pan would drain out and dry out.

There is always water in the bottom of a washing machine. I guess becaue it would take extra machinery or design changes to get rid of it and there is no need.

So you have a leak somewhere. Even if you could find it, I don't think you want to fix it. You don't complain about the wait but if all your clothes get dirty before they come, you can buy more clothes, go to the laundromat, wear diry clothes, or go naked (in whole or in part).

Reply to
mm