How long do one of these typically last? We have one that's nearly 7
years old and has stopped heating. I suspect the magnetron is gone.
Given that it will cost at least $ 100-150+ to repair, should I bother
or replace it? Hate to create more toxic waste...
I think my sister in law had one and it just recently died. It was less
than a year old. However she used it as a timer and ran it empty for 20
minutes. It died accompanied with a burning smell. Later she read the
manual that told her not to do what she had just done.
Unfortunately I put it in for her and her husband is not very handy so
they're going with an identical unit so as to use the same mounting
I had an old Lytton that was over 20 years old and I replaced it 4
years ago with a Korean Whirpool. Been great. Donated the old one to a
You could Freecycle it or Craig's as a "free needs repair".
I was considering doing that, but read on one of the newsgroups that I
shouldn't do it unless I know what I am up to, given the high voltage
capacitor etc. I am reasonably handy, and not an expert. Should I try
It's been a long time since I did mine, and I don't remember any capacitor.
Some capacitors need to be discharged, because they store voltage. There's
probably something online that would tell you if you had to, and how to do
it. I think the hardest part is the wiring, so make sure you have the new
one first, then check to make sure it's the same, and write down the wiring
order before you disconnect the old one.
All the GE's were having magnetrons burn up. Mine lasted 3 years but I had a
warranty contract on the house so I got it replaced free. The tech said as
he was leaving "See you in about two years again". If it's not under
warranty, junk it and get another brand if you can.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.