Gazing compound softened by primer

I just recently replaced several window panes (neighbor kid busy with a BB gun)

I used the DAP 33 glazing compound. I let the compound dry for several weeks with the window sashes stored in the garage in SoCal.

Today I finally got around to priming & painting. The compound was still very slightly soft to the touch.

I was too lazy to go buy some "regular" oil based primer so I used some Zinsser High Hide Interior/Exterior "oil base primer" that I had left over from some work a few weeks ago.

I primed at about 2:30 today & at 7 pm the primer on the glazing compound is still tacky to the touch and the compound feels a little softer than before priming. The air temp was about 70 deg

Am I being too impatient? Did the Zinsser soften the compund? The Zinsser that I put on wood at the same time is more or less dry but the primer on the glazing compound is not.

Comments? Suggestions?

I setup a fan to blow across the sashes hopefully it will be drier in the AM.

thanks Bob

Reply to
Bob K 207

Wait a day

Reply to
m Ransley

Glazing putty is linseed oil and something (usually whiting). Oil paint = is linseed oil and other stuff.

For paint to dry, the linseed oil has to set up (polymerize?). The = linseed oil in the putty is slowing it down a bit. As Ransley said, = "wait".

dadiOH's dandies v3.05... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH