Glazing a window

Hi,

Please remind me to post here first before I try any home repairs!

I tried re-glazing a small 6 pane window on our outdoor shed using some glazing that comes in a tube. What a mess. After trying that I read a few posts from people who recommended not to use the tube glazing.

So I just finished taking off my botched job and now I'm going to try using the stuff that comes in a can.

I'd appreciate any pointers on how to do this. It's been really hot out lately by the way. Should I do it at night when it's cooler out?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Steve

Reply to
njsteve

You need Boiled linseed oil, fresh putty, the proper tools, the right moves, and a little practice. You substitute oil based primer for the linseed oil but the oil is preferred.

Buy your DAP brand glazing compound from a paint store or other place that sells a lot of it. Old stuff degrades in the can and becomes difficult to work with.

Buy a "bent" glazing ( putty) knife at the same time. They are available in 1/2" and 3/4" widths. The proper tool and practice makes the job easy.

Remove the old or loose putty then paint the wood sash with boiled linseed oil and allow it to dry (at least a couple hours) while the unopened can of dap sets in the sun.

Take a ball of putty and work it in your hands to warm it. I am right handed. Hold the putty in your left hand and press the putty into place into place using the knife from top to bottom or left to right. All you are doing now in getting the putty in place on all four sides of the frame. It will be over filled and uneven. Then you go back and finish it removing the excess which is added back to the ball for the next window. With practice you will learn to feed the putty from through the end of your fingers in a very quick manner.

To finish you start at a top or left corner and press gently on the putty knife with your left thumb as you pull the knife to the bottom or right in one long continuous stroke. It may take more than one finish stoke until you get the hang of it. The side edges of the knife blade should rest against the wood and the glass as you press and pack the putty into the triangle shape. The handle should point in the direction you are pulling towards.

Do not apply paint until the glazing has formed a dry skin. A week or two in the heat of the summer. A month or more won't hurt and will make painting easier.

Oh, and don't forget to post here before your next project:)).

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt