Gas release valve?

I'm surprised they don't say on them they're restricted to warm days. Cold days are when you're more likely to use them!
I could understand them not mentioning it if the limit was below -20C or something. But someone said even 6C causes problems.
On 11/03/2019 18:32, Martin Brown wrote:

The high pressure network represents a significant proportion of the country's stored gas.
--
Andrew Gabriel

But is it usable? Say the input failed for a while, could we use up what's in the high pressure pipes? Could they transfer it all to low pressure at the normal rate?

Why do you think gasometers have nearly all disappeared? Our reserves are now stored in the pipeline.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

I thought it was piped in from the north sea, Russia, whatever.
P.S. why did they always stink? Well the ones on Dock Street, Dundee did anyway.

So presumably this pipeline is variable pressure?
Commander Kinsey wrote:

" Methodology
We determine NTS linepack by calculating the volume of gas within the NTS pipelines, using a network model and instantaneous measurements. The model contains a database of NTS pipeline diameters and lengths, updated as required to accommodate changes to the network.
The NTS is divided into pipeline sections, and the volume of gas within each section is determined by multiplication of the pipe free volume by the ratio of the gas density at actual conditions to the gas density at standard temperature and pressure.
The actual gas density is computed from a standard equation of state applying pressure, temperature and specific gravity data. The pressure is derived from telemetered measurements at the beginning and end of the pipeline section, and an average network gas temperature is applied. The specific gravity is determined from telemetered measurements at NTS entry and exit points according to a fixed mapping arrangement. The network model then summates the calculated volume of gas for each pipeline section to compute total NTS linepack.
The opening NTS linepack for a gas day, which is equivalent to the closing NTS linepack for the preceding gas day, will be the volume calculated by the network model as close to the start of the gas day as possible."
From this page <https://www.nationalgridgas.com/data-and-operations/transmission-operational-data
you can reach <http://mip-prod-web.azurewebsites.net/PrevailingViewGraph/ViewReport?prevailingViewGraph tualLinepackGraph&gasDate 19-03-15>
which is a graph showing the pressure variations.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Why did we used to need gasometers? Surely a high pressure pipeline isn't something really technologically advanced?

Because of the way gas was generated then, locally, instead coming out of the ground hundreds of miles away.

Correct. bit not necessary when the gas is generated locally.

Do you often have a problem with people taking the piss?
--

Roger Hayter

When I don't know what the device does, there's no way of telling which answer is truthful.

Strangely, I find the common sense I was born with answers that question pretty conclusively. There could be no circumstances in which excess gas needed to be discharged randomly in the middle of the countryside. If it were necessary it would be done at the origin or termination of the line, and it is equally unlikely that any leak of gas would be deliberately ignited. There can be no doubt about this.
--

Roger Hayter

Well that's what I thought, and was made clear in my original post.
But.... I've seen them. They are not poles with a bright orange marker on top, they have a mechanism inside, they clearly do something with the gas.
On 11/03/2019 15:52, Martin Brown wrote:

+1.
In the old days, there were tall vent stacks for sewers. Cast iron with nice "petals" at the top, about the height of a telegraph pole. In urban areas.

As a kid, did you ever climb one and block it?
Commander Kinsey wrote:

You think they're going to allow gas at 1200 psi up a tiny pole at the side of the road for tom, dick and harry to crash into?

A) I didn't know it was that high a pressure, in fact I thought it might just be the final house pressure.
B) It's better to let it off in a flame (and they're usually on quiet B roads) than to let it build up and cause an explosion.
Yes one round the back of my l place. They had to fiddle with the pressure though as everyone heard a throbbing from the thing at night. Brian
--
----- --
If it makes a noise, it can't just be a marker.

top?

.
Don't you have gas in the USA? That's real gas, not that liquid you put in your cars.

There are 325 million people in the US who call it gas
There are 66 million people in the UK who call it petro.
We took a vote, you lost.
--
Get off my lawn!