Doorknob in MIDDLE of door

They have been showing re-runs of the old tv series "The Brady Bunch" on ME-TV lately. I noticed on that show, they have an entry door, with the doorknob right in the MIDDLE of the door. The height is normal, but the knob sits directly in the center of the door, in other words, if the door is 36", the knob is 18" from both the hinges and the striker plate.

I've never seen anything like this in real life. But I suppose it might exist. Have any of you ever seen this in real life, or is this just a tv prop? I can not imagine having to drill 18" into the edge of the door and keeping it straight without exiting the drill out of the door surface. It also looks like it would be real clumbsy to operate a door like that.....

Reply to
Caulking-Gunn

My front door has the knob in the middle. My grandfather built the home in 1920. I can send you a picture of it if you would like. snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

Reply to
faithmaddox

No thanks.

Reply to
Oren

Please delete. I thought I was answering someone else.

Reply to
faithmaddox

snipped-for-privacy@ipsb.education brought next idea :

It can't be deleted, USENET is forever, or until it dies.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

family affair with brian keith and sebastian cabot had a door like that

Reply to
bob haller

If you watch the comedy movie "Dunston Checks In", the movie takes place in a hotel and every doorknob is in the center of the doors. Very "anatomically" incorrect and difficult to open if it swings toward you lol.

Reply to
sharpbladejosh

I've seen doors like that. European in origin I believe.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Remember the TV sitcom _Family Affair_? Davis' NY apartment had the doorknobs centered on the door.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It was a fad for a while but I think it may be waning as those mechanisms start causing trouble. My wife had a few customers ordering doors like that when she was building houses. .

Reply to
gfretwell

I know where there's a door like this at in Madison Indiana first time I've ever seen one also I go in a lot homes the door is split I'm not talkin I'm talkin the door death itself which is only about 2 in thick come to park so basically they taking two halves of a door and put them together wants centers hollowed-out for the hardware

Reply to
jeffreyskirvin62

I have a backseat that would put the knob in the middle of the door. It is made by Schlage Lock. It is not a prop.

Reply to
Mfanucchi1

Sounds like a neat designer trick.

Bill