gas line size

I need to run a gas line for a fireplace. Is there a standard size? or can I use 3/8"

Reply to
Gntry

Gas Fire places are usually sold by btu. Bigger the btu the bigger the demand and the bigger the pipe. Since no one can "see" the installation any recommendation is worthless.

3/8 gas line would not be much good for anything above 5k btu.

Please call the building department near where you live. Your question shows the lack of knowledge you have. You could end up in a lot of trouble.

The gas insert I installed was 10 feet of half inch from a 3/4 line that only fed the clothes dryer and the fire place. My insert was 50K btu. It was nice not to clean up after a fire. And it was nice to be able to go to bed and "turn the fire off". Other than the flicker it provided, it was a waste of money and effort. IMO It was a LOT cheaper to heat the house with the furnace than it was with the fire place.

Reply to
SQLit

Who knows, use a momometer to check flow and do the math or you might starve something else.

Reply to
m Ransley

Probably not. You have to determine the Btu of each appliance in the house to determine what you need.

Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Gntry

My mom used to use a momometer. It always read 1, because she was one.

mm