Garden Hose Reels ?

Hi,

Anyone have any opinions re what brand to consider, what to stay away from, on garden hose reels. The kind with the wheels.

The ones I'ver seen that are under $ 50 or so all seem to be really cheap plastic and cheap construction.

Any that would last for a few years hopefully that are around $ 50 max, or so ?

Do they work on 5/8 garden hose (well) ?

Thoughts on ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Stay away from plastic and get steel and of those you=92re not going to find anything that=92s not a wall mount that you can easily move around or less than $120.00 but it=92s going to last forever with maybe an o ring change every twenty years.

Molly Brown

I bought one of the Suncast (plastic) hose reel about 10 years ago and it's holding up pretty well. We keep it out of the sunlight though. It's a good idea to store a hose out of the sunlight anyway.

Reply to
JimT

I got two of these and attached them to adobe brick without trouble:

I've been happy with them and have had no leakage. But I would read the reviews at link for people who don't like it. I don't think you can get quality metal reel for less than this. But you say you want one on wheels, presumably not one that attaches to house so this may not fit the bill.

Reply to
TomAZ

Is it or is it not leaking from where the supply hose connects to the reel? I will be extremely surprised it you tell me it isn=92t.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Easy choice. After having various junk reels, I bought one of these and never looked back.

Ed Pawlowski

Why not just coil the hose into a figure-8?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Is it or is it not leaking from where the supply hose connects to the reel? I will be extremely surprised it you tell me it isn?t.

===

I had to go look. It is some but not because of the reel. It's from the metal quick connector I put on it. I put full pressure on it and it looks like the reel is holding.

It looks old but it's still in one piece. I bought another Suncast model for the backyard and it's broken but it still works. I could fix it but it pinches the hose anyway.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Buy cheap, get cheap.

Look at the box. Most state hose lengths for 1/2" and 5/8" hose.

I bought an Ames reel a few years back. The window repair morons (new house - leaky windows) used my hose to test the fix and broke the reel. I went to the Ames site for parts; FREE *including* shipping. That's service!

Reply to
krw

I totally agree! Worth every penny. I bought one last year and it not only will outlast me but it will probably outlast my daughter too.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Mine leaks when the water is on. It's a cheap plastic one screwed to the side of the house. It squeaks terribly when rewinding. But it works. It's only water leaking.

Reply to
LSMFT

I totally agree. I had a plastic part break off mine due my own abuse and they replaced it free... even though it was a good three years old at that point.

Regardless of my part failure, these reels are *very* stout. They reek quality. You won't be dissatisfied... unless you buy another plastic POS.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

Two things that drive me nuts: Teeny-teeny wheels and a handle that is so low a midget would have to bend over to grab the contraption.*

Remember, with 100' of hose filled with water, the sucker is going to weigh close to a hundred pounds.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have two Suncast plastic reels and both do not leak. Surprising considering how cheaply they are made

Reply to
The Henchman

I read the reviews on homedepot.com and went to the store to look. It seemed like it was pretty easy to tell what was junk. And in the few years since I bought one to a couple of months ago they've made the connection better so it looks less likely to leak.

Keep in mind that when they say it holds up to 100 feet of hose, that really means more like 50 feet unless you spend a half hour to coil it perfectly. So get a much bigger one than you think you need.

Reply to
Shaun Eli