Swimming Pool Sand Filter ? Cloudy water on start up.

For those that responded to the last post: The pool is running exceptionally well with the Phos-Free. Nice, clear and no algae. I'm still shocking weekly, but with half as much chlorine, and I dump the other half in only if it rains.

I think one problem has arisen with regards to the Phos Free. The pressure usually runs about 18 -19 lbs but after the Phos-free it's been around 21 lbs. I don't usually purge until it gets up around 28 lbs because I heard a dirty filter cleans better than a clean one.

I started turning the pump off at night for 8 hours because, since it's running so well, I don't think it needs to be on 24/7 anymore. The last couple of times when I start the pump, it pumps out cloudy water then clears up shortly after. Does anyone know why this is and is it a indication I should purge? The pressure now is only about 3 lbs above base but I'm wondering if the filter needs to be purged after each Phos Free treatment.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

If it pumps out cloudy on start up is that not air?? That's what happens with my sand pool filter.

Experts say dirty pool sand filters work better when dirty because they grab smaller particles but in my experience as a pool sand filter owner that is not the case. I clean (backflush) my sand filter once a week.

Reply to
The Henchman

No, it's not air. I think it's the Phos-Free and some dirt. I went ahead and backwashed.

Jim

Reply to
JimT