garbage dispoal making horrible noise

My garbage disposal is making a pretty horrid noise. It sounds like one of the teeth inside that rotate around a bolt as the entire inner portion rotates, maybe loose. A little too loose and rattling a lot. It's definately a metalic sound. There's nothing metalic in the disposal (aside from disposal parts).

Is it fixable without dismounting the disposal? I may just buy a new one if I'm going to have to unmount this to fix it.

Reply to
Evan Mann

##################### UH ....yeah. BG

Reply to
BillKirch

Hi,

Food waste disposal? Model#, make?

Or broken off.

The unit normally must be removed and taken apart for servicing.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

In Sink Erator, 1/2 HP Badger 5. Says it has a 2 year In-Home Warranty but I have no idea how old it is. They still sell it, so maybe I'll try my luck and get it warranted.

If I opted to replace it, what brand would I want to go with? I'd be willing to spendin the $100-115 range for the disposal itself.

Reply to
Evan Mann

Call the 1-800 number shown on the website. Give them the model number and serial number and they should be able to tell you whether it's less than 2 years old.

If you're not the original purchaser of the unit, you may not be able to get warranty service; however, it certainly won't hurt to look into it.

Insinkerator disposers are decent units, particularly the more powerful models. The the 3/4 hp models and above have stainless steel grinding chambers and a longer warranty. Although their "Badger" line is OK, I personally would go with at least the model 444 or better. And you'll most likely be able to use the same mounting flange as the old disposer...it'll save you a little time.

Reply to
Banister Stairwell

Hi,

With the full model and serial #'s, ISE can probably give you the purchase date or production date, definetly worth asking!!

Something with a 4 or 5 year warranty is my first choice, 3/4 HP is a good size. Just one style...

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff