Garage touchpad wire

Okay, here is a quick and easy one. I have a 5 year old Craftsman garage door opener. I need to relocate the 3-button touchpad to a different location in the garage but I need more wire to do it. What kind of wire do I need to use. The current strand is 2 wire. Can I just patch it in with wire nuts or electrical tape?

Thanks

Reply to
MrMike

Yes you can splice the wire without any wires. It is a very low voltage that goes thru the wire.

Doordoc

Doordoc

Forget the wiring, go to Sears and buy a wireless unit.

Reply to
SQLit

Oops! Meant you can splice without any problems. It would be a little hard to splice w/o wires. Sorry.

Reply to
Doordoc

Thermostat wire, or telephone wire, or "bell wire", or "CAT 3" twisted pair data cable.

If you want to splice it, I recommend soldering the connections and wrapping with really good tape, like Scotch 33 or friction tape.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Someone named "SQLit" Proclaimed on Fri, 30 Apr

2004 16:10:10 -0700,

What about RFI? Won't the touchpad be "deaf" and "dumb"? It will be muzzled! :)

Reply to
G. Morgan

M > Okay, here is a quick and easy one. M > I have a 5 year old Craftsman garage door opener. I need to relocate M > the 3-button touchpad to a different location in the garage but I need M > more wire to do it. What kind of wire do I need to use. The current M > strand is 2 wire. Can I just patch it in with wire nuts or electrical M > tape?

As the others said, yes. The only problem which _may_ happen is the garage door may start to go up/down by itself. Years ago I rigged up an "emergency light" circuit to a 6" fluorescent would go on automatically if the power failed (blew a circuit at the workbench) plus a touch switch at the bench to turn the light on for a minute so I wouldn't have to walk in the dark. There is also a momentary contact switch near the basement stairs to turn it on. Turning on the lights in the basement have triggered the circuit on (for the minute).

If your relocate requires a long run of wire you may wish to consider using shielded wire (coax). If one of the presently installed touch switch wires goes to ground you could use a single conductor wire (microphone wire, old TV coax). If not to ground use dual conductor coax (as for a stereo mic cable). Twisted pair (telephone wire) may also solve the problem. Haven't tried to fix the problem of the light going on occasionally "by itself" as not worth the time and effort. A garage door opening when not expected, on the other hand.....

  • I stamped my feet and ended up at the Post Office.
Reply to
barry martin