Garage/roller door intermittently not opening.

Gday all,

Im calling from Australia so model numbers etc may not apply, but I live in an apartments where we have a roller door (2.5 cars wide so a wide one) and it seems, almost daily, to stop working via the remote control.

Then, when I reset the power (on to off then back on) at the electricity box, it seems to reinitialise itself and work.

Could this mean a problem with the electrical wiring (power) to the door? Is there a battery in the unit which needs replacing? I cant think of what else it would be.

There are certainly no issues with it jamming or whatever, when it works its smooth - but it seems to need resetting almost daily.

Any ideas on what could be causing it? The door/motor is around 2 years old, so its new and worked fine prior to this little episode.

Thanks.

Reply to
276

Could be a short on the control board inside the main unit. Could be a short in the motor control relay.

Open the case and operate until the breaker trips. I expect you will see a good spark in the GD opener at the same time. Look for soot or burned electrical connectors or boards and replace them with appropriate parts or replace entire opener.

It does run sometimes so I doubt the motor is binding up and overloading due to high starting current. It should have its own thermal protection for that anyway.

Reply to
PipeDown