Garage floor

Hi-

I'm looking for suggestions for my garage floor. It is somewhat pitted and generates some dust. Obviously, I'd like to smooth it out and protect it. The floor is about 15 years old.

Is there some sort of skim coating that could be applied?

Do you 1- or 2-part epoxies work well? Would they fill in pits?

Thanks- Bill

Reply to
Bill Dennen

Two part epoxies are great as long as the floor is prepped. They will not fill in holes or pits in the surface althogh you can buy fillers to fill holes and some rough areas before appling the fiish coat. You probably will not find fillers at a large chain store though. Check with a store that specializes in paints only, or a store that sells commercial cleaning products and equipment.

I did my floor last summer, wish I had done it sooner! My floor was in fairly good shape, but any rough spots, cracks and so forth just show through. Epoxy is just a good paint. Greg Greg

Reply to
Greg O

How well does the epoxy hold up to hot tires?

Reply to
Art

Great! The floor has been on for just over a year and other than a faint scratch or two it looks like it was just put on. I even do some welding and so far there are no burn marks on it either. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

What brand of Epoxy did you use? Would you recommend putting sand in it fo rnon-skid?

Mike

Reply to
Me

No, the sand gets scuffed quickly out of the finish in any wear area. There are anti skid additives available for epoxy. Sears used to offer one for their epoxy paint some years ago, so probably something similar is out there in the newer offerings. Boat deck coatings should be one place to look. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I used a product from Spartan, New Generation 50. Spartan is a manufacturer of commercial cleaning chemicals and floor finishes. I bought Spartan because I could get it for cost! That said, any good to part epoxy would probably be fine, the prep is the important part. As for the sand, no way! The sand does make the floor skid resistant, but it also makes it harder to clean as the dust clings to the sand when you sweep. I live in North Dakota and was concerned to floor would be slick with snow and water but it has not been a problem. If it was I would put down floor mats by the door. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Does anyone have any recommendations for filling in the pitted areas?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Dennen

There are epoxy fillers available, check with a store that specializes in paint, or one that sells commercial cleaning products and equipment. Greg

Reply to
Greg O