Radon Problem

Normally they run it up through the house and out the roof. How difficult that may be depends on the construction of the home.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I am in the process of purchasing a new house and I had a home inspection last week. I just found out last night that the radon test came back at 7.2 (vs. the EPA standard of 4). I know that many people think this is a lot to do about nothing, but since I am frequently transferred by my company and need to worry about resale, I need to have the problem addressed.

The homeowner did have a 4" PVC pipe installed in the basement floor that goes underneath the slab. The problem I have is that I don't like running the PVC outside and up the side of the house. Normally, the pipe is a bright white and it will stand out like a sore thumb on this house. What are my options? I assume that I could run the PVC out to the garage and then up through the roof....or just up through a closet in the house. This is a ranch, so there is no 2nd floor to worry about. Are there any other options? Any way to connect to a gutter downspout?

Also, given the installed pipe, how much is this likely to cost either the current homeowner or me?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
WORSS

Should it become necessary to run an outside vent extension, consider using electrical grade PVC which is usually gray in color and is UV reistant. If that is too garish for your situation, a good paint store will have PVC specific paint to match the hous color. A climbing ivy could cover it as well.

$500...$1000...$1500..can't be estimated from here with any precision. Whatever, good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Reply to
Warren Weber

If you are health conscious and want to avoid causes of cancer find another house. Smoking multiplies the risk. Whatever you paid for the inspection was well worth the cost. Generally, there are higher levels in the lowest level of the house and levels fluctuate from season to season.

Reply to
Phisherman