Garage door opener recommendations?

My Sears 1/2 horse chain drive opener finally bit the dust. It has worked for 17 years with only one inexpensive gear replacement, but now the drive shaft bearing has worn through the housing and it's time to pitch it.

My instincts will tell me to stick with the same type because of my good luck with it, but there are other choices.

Screw drive.........Will the screw or nut wear out and require a costly repair?

Belt drive...........Sounds good but does the belt last? Is it expensive to replace the belt?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
tnom

It would appear that all the systems can make a good opener. I have a screw drive and while the screw is never going to wear out, other parts can. Same for all the others. I don't know about the belts today, they are better, but in the old days replacing a worn belt was not too bad and cheap.

If I had to replace what I have now I would go for the new fast quiet Genie, but there are a lot of good units on the market today.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Frankly the all work well. Each has its good points and bad points. I guess that is why all three are still made.

I suggest you take a look at the Genie Company 1/2 HP Excelerator. It is fast and very quiet.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I got the Liftmaster (chamberlain at home depot) whisper drive. It has a belt and is real smooth and quiet. I was advised against getting the screw drive up here in the "north". Apparently they're not that good in cold weather.

Reply to
edee em

I don't know how far north you are, but I have had multiple screw drive units for over 20 years operating at temperatures of 15º below and lower, unheated detached garage with no problems.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The key here might be the word "multiple" :-)

Reply to
jeffc

They work fine up north as long as you use the right grease on the screw. We always used Lubriplate. Heavy grease will gum up so bad in cold weather that the motor can't turn the screw.

Doordoc

Doordoc