Garage Door Opener Installation Jitters

For the first time in my life, I am replacing on my own my 1/2 HP LiftMaster motor with a 1/2 HP Craftsman motor. It looks pretty straightforward - the mounting holes appear to be the same on both units, the wiring is identical, etc. However, being a first-timer, I have a few common-sense questions that I wanted answers on before I proceed:

  1. My starting point should be loosening up the chain so I can lift it off the top of the old motor, right?

  1. The motor is bolted to the ceiling brackets and the chain rail. The ceiling brackets are no problem - but the rail bolts - if I unfasten them to remove the motor, how do I keep the rail from dropping to the floor and getting bent? Should I jerry rig some kind of support, like holding it up with a bungee cord tied to the ceiling brackets?

  2. Once I install the new motor and put the chain back on its sprocket, how do I start adjusting the door - should the door be closed, then I engage the chain? Or should it be open? How do I position the chain so the door latch will engage at the correct distance?

I have the manuals for both the old and new units but for the life of me, they are not very good in explaining in simple terms what the step by step procedure should be for motor replacement.

Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks much.

FT

Reply to
franzen_torres

No need to remove the chain, leave it alone. Undo the motor's wire, remove the plastic clip and helical gear from the bottom of the shaft. There are four screws that fasten the motor bracket from inside. Remove those four screws and the unit will come right out. The rest is a couple of press pins that hold the plastic gear onto the motor shaft and a couple of nuts that hold the bracket onto the motor. Install is just the reverse.

Reply to
Rich

Please contact me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com so I may help you In private. Anthony Anthony's Door Systems

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

g.a.miller