Garage Door Opener Installation

Monday night, I helped my SIL install a new Chamberlain Whisper garage door opener. I won't say how long it took us to install it, but it took a while. My SIL is good with tools, and has lots of them. I am no slouch, either. But, being the first one we put up ........................

Long story short, we got it up. I hadn't put one of these types together before, and there are a couple of differences.

This morning, Lowe's had the same opener for sale. Installation ......................... 59 bucks!

FWIW, my daughter wanted us to put it up and save some money and "bond". I am going to ask her if next time she wants us to "bond", could we go to a titty bar or go fishing.

Hell, I would have been happy to pay half the installation fee, and had my Monday night free. Also, if there's a problem, no problem. Just call them and have them come out and fix it.

I like DIY stuff, but sometimes, paying isn't a bad alternative if the installation fee is reasonable. A guy who installs these things regularly is in and out and gone line smoke.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I've have paid it. I'm handy also and I did install an opener about 15+ years ago. Now that I'm 15 years older, it is easier to earn the $59 than do certain jobs. In 1991 I bought a brand new Buick Regal. A few months later bought a filter and five quarts of oil, same as I've done for years. Drove the car up on the ramps, crawled under and had a hard time locating the filter, let alone taking it off. Last oil change I ever did. Much easier to pay $24.95

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Going on a trip this weekend..I changed my oil $ 4.55 (4Qt) & Fram filter $ 3.85 for a total of $ 8.40 Took about half an hour. Being retired, my time was worth the near $ 20.00 difference once you add in the taxes etc I have 3 vehicles so you can see this adds up over the year. While I was at it, I topped up all the fluids (battery, brake fluid, radiator) air in the tires and put on two new mufflers as well. Now, shes ready for the road !

Rudy

It?s a great feeling knowing you can maintain your own vehicles. Don?t forget to factor into the time it takes to do the actual oil change plus going to the store to buy oil, filter, fluids, and disposing of the old oil.

Enjoy your retirement

Reply to
TP

Hi, I am retired as well. 4 vehicles in the family. Some can't even go onto ramps any more. And disposing the old oil, taking it to depot. I gave up oil change but I do rest still using OBD II tester running on laptop. Tune up after 100K miles, other electronic malfunctions I take care of it. I even have special socket wrench to remove oxygen sensor which is common trouble maker. Still having some fun working on cars but no oil change! Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

IMO the only way it makes sense to change your own oil

(I go back & forth on it depending how busy I am)

is:

change multiple vehicles at once (at least two preferably three)

I keep the oil & filters on hand so I have all the stuff to do the changes when I want to.

I can change three in less than an hour & I just drop off the 5 gallon bucket of used oil next time I buy a case of new oil

The time & hassle to change on one just isn't worth it.

With the multiples, I get setup & dirty only once. Faster than driving & waiting..

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207